I recomend getting two pairs. One pair good, one pair bad. Sure it's nice to have great speakers but keep in mind when you're mixing, most people will be listening to it on their tiny shitty speakers, so you want to make it sound as best as you can on them.

Edited by Halcyon

I assure you, I am mixing on tiny, shitty speakers... :) There's definately an art to making a mix sound good on a good pair of speakers and good on a bad pair of speakers also. Whatever that art is, I have not yet harnessed its power.

edit: I have an EXCELLENT pair of studio monitor headphones, but once again, it sounds good in those and like shit on the stereo....

Well, I went out this weekend and got a good deal on some monitors. One of my friends works at Guitar Center so I flopped down $425 for a pair of M-Audio BX8a's. They sound good and are great to mix with. The family was gone for a little while today so I turned them up LOUD. Pretty sweet.

• 5 weeks later...

Hook your stereo up to your computer/mixer/recorder/whatever... If you have a reciever/speaks great, if not, any boombox with an aux-in will do. Make a mix that sounds good on that, and it'll sound good on whatever it gets played on. Your home studio $'s are better spent on better mics...

That's not true. Always mix on two different set of speakers, as every speaker has a different frequency responce. If you're going to do that approach, play it on two different boomboxes or whatever, and make it sound good on both, not great on one and mediocre on the other. Any studio you go into, will have a good set a speakers (these ones usually get used the most) and then a mediocre set. Just mix on one set and then put it through the other and adjust it a bit, so you meet halfway, you know?

Edited by Halcyon