Converting Divx, avi, etc to DVD

It seems to me in the past the process to take a divx or avi file and burn it in dvd format that will play on a basic stand alone dvd player was rather time consuming as opposed to say, mp3 to wav. If I remember correctly, it almost had to play the movie in real time in order to convert it to dvd.

Is there a better way? A quicker way? Do I even know what I'm talking about?

Could someone explain the process to me in brief?

I had to do this in school a couple times and, unfortunately, I never found a way to make it go quickly. I ususally just fired it up and went to bed. It takes longer than mp3 to wav because you're dealing with A LOT more data. Not only is the sound converted, but each frame of video must be converted as well. This is why it takes so long (30 frames/sec-->whole movie). You need to find a program that will convert your files to .vob files, which is the file type for DVD video. Once the files are converted, I think nero will do all of the burning part on a pc, but, as mentioned, it takes a hell of a long time.

If you have access to a mac, you can get a program called ffmpegx (for free!) that will covert just about anything into a .mov file which can then be burned in iDVD. Once again, it takes a while but seems to be a little more user friendly.

I don't know if that helps or confirms your fears. ;)

• 1 year later...

my advice is to pick up a dvd player w/ dvix. i've seen them for 30 bucks recently. philips usually are divx certified. but, toast on a mac will do the conversion and burn to dvd for playing on a standard dvd player, however, as you know it takes a long time. typically overnight.

Actually, now that this thread has been revived, I have an iPod video and a bunch of .xvid movies. Any clue what I would use to transfer them to .avi? (I think it is the format that apple uses for iPod).

edie,

the file format for ipod is mpeg4... not .avi, which actually isn't even a "format" per se. the videos that ipods play are strictly mp4's and also the .h264 codec. i used isquint to convert divx or xvid movies to ipod format when i had a video ipod... which was for about a week. i returned it and got a cowon A2... it plays anything. are you on a pc or mac? what is your os version? also, aren't they already in .avi ? i don't think there's a .xvid, xvids usually come in the .avi "wrapper".

oh, and i didn't see that the post was from so long ago. sorry.

edie,

the file format for ipod is mpeg4... not .avi, which actually isn't even a "format" per se. the videos that ipods play are strictly mp4's and also the .h264 codec. i used isquint to convert divx or xvid movies to ipod format when i had a video ipod... which was for about a week. i returned it and got a cowon A2... it plays anything. are you on a pc or mac? what is your os version? also, aren't they already in .avi ? i don't think there's a .xvid, xvids usually come in the .avi "wrapper".

oh, and i didn't see that the post was from so long ago. sorry.

I have a PC running WinXP. I can play the xvids on my PC (and on TV with an S video cable) without problem using VLC Media Player. I would like to be able to transfer them to my iPod which is the latest one (though not the new new one coming out soon, or just released). I tried to simply copy them using winamp and got an error that the format was not recognized. I hate iTunes.