World Trade Center

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The flaw in that rationale is your defintion of boring and/or beautiful versus someone else's.

Again - thats my point. Everyone here is talking about craft and using purely subjective concepts when coming to their definition/description. I may think Kenny G or Kinkade are boring or uninspiring. Others think they are insiprational. Can anyone say objectively whether they are artists or a craftsmen? No, of course not.

Seems more consistent to me to acknowledge all of this, by just calling all of it art, and then breaking it down into two categories from there: whether you like it or not.

Here's the short answer that will save everybody a lot of time: if Dude doesn't like something, it's not art. :thumbup

That's correct. In fact, I don't like something, it automatically morphs into a huge steamy pile of human feces. I'm special like that.

That's correct. In fact, I don't like something, it automatically morphs into a huge steamy pile of human feces. I'm special like that.

Apparently you didn't like that sammich I ate for lunch yesterday.

The night Lincoln was shot, you couldn't joke about it. You just couldn't do it. But now, time has gone by, and now it's fair game.

Comedy is tragedy plus time. :stunned

Pretty sure that was from a Woody Allen flick... maybe Crimes and Misdemeanors? Or maybe it was The Aristocrats. I dunno.

i think the next time we bomb the art vs. not art bit we launch into a retelling of the aristocrats

One-upmanship has never sounded more appealing.

Pretty sure that was from a Woody Allen flick... maybe Crimes and Misdemeanors? Or maybe it was The Aristocrats. I dunno.

Yeah, the Alan Alda character in C&M who is a caricature of Norman Lear.

This morning I read an interview with Cristi Puiu, director of the award-winning The Death of Mr. Lazarescu. He made a few comments that seem related to the above discussions:

People think of cinema in terms of an industry. But I think it should work like literature

But the difference between art and schlock is real.