JMascis and the Shins

Anyone else at this show? I have to say that as much as I looked forward to it, I was pretty disappointed. First time seeing both. I was most excited about the Shins and they just seemed to sputter through the set. Some really great moments and then some pretty substandard moments. James Mercer had to stop and start New Slang twice before giving up because he couldnt remember the lyrics (they encored with it to make up for it). Normally stuff like that is fun for me -- I like to see bands that are human and mess up. If I want a perfect recreation of the CD, I will stay home and listen to the CD. But this show it just seemed that they weren't on the same page. The sound wasnt great, and the crowd was awful (although I have to admit that they were really into it). Maybe I am getting too old for shows, but do I need to have two teenagers making out in front of me for 1/2 the show? Or the guy behind me singing louder than James Mercer? :) Ok, ok, I will stop complaining.

Best part of the night was that they played some of the songs that will be on the new album. I walked away pretty confident that this new album is going to be as good as the previous two. So, at least I have something to look forward to...

As far as the show goes, with 12 hours to reflect on it, I have to say that I was pretty disappointed. Was anyone else there? Was it just me?

I saw the Shins at Lola,and I thought they blew..............how upsetting.

How was J.Mascis?

I am not the best person to ask because I dont know much of the Dinosaur Jr catalog other than Green Mind. Didnt blow my socks off, though. His skills on the guitar were sick -- he played solo acoustic with all these great effects. The voice was a little tough though. Seems like he's lost a couple of steps on that voice. Or maybe he had a tough night.

I am not the best person to ask because I dont know much of the Dinosaur Jr catalog other than Green Mind. Didnt blow my socks off, though. His skills on the guitar were sick -- he played solo acoustic with all these great effects. The voice was a little tough though. Seems like he's lost a couple of steps on that voice. Or maybe he had a tough night.

if he was playing solo acoustic then I bet he was switching from dry signal to that damn fuzz factory. the first time I saw/heard/felt-in-my-ribcage that, it was startling. He also used to use the zvex looper (can't think of the name of it right now), which was pretty impressive...

Hmm. The Shins were pretty good when I saw them at the Old Ritz last year.