'My Sharona' drummer dead at 55

linkarona

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Bruce Gary, the rock drummer who worked with George Harrison, Bob Dylan and Stephen Stills but is best known as The Knack's original drummer -- the man who played on the group's No. 1 hit "My Sharona" -- has died. He was 55.

Gary died Tuesday at Tarzana Medical Center of lymphoma, said Helen Gary, the drummer's mother.

Besides Harrison, Dylan and Stills, he recorded with Cream's Jack Bruce, Rod Stewart, Sheryl Crow, Bette Midler, Yoko Ono, Harry Nilsson and The Doors' guitarist Robby Krieger, according to the Web site www.brucegary.com. (The Web site had been suspended as of Thursday morning.)

Gary also worked with blues masters Albert Collins, Albert King and John Lee Hooker and toured with former Eagles member Randy Meisner and Spencer Davis. He also co-produced a series of posthumous releases from Jimi Hendrix, including the "Blues" compilation.

Gary also produced the CD of drum samples "Bruce Gary's Drum Vocabulary." The drum loops are popular in professional and home recording studios where they can be added to any song.

The Knack was formed in 1978 and a year later hit it big with "My Sharona." The group's debut album "Get the Knack" sold 6 million copies, followed by a second album "... But the Little Girls Understand," which sold 2 million.

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press.

I owned that 45! :stunned

Me too. I distinctly remember my mom being pissed off at the sleeve.

Me too. I distinctly remember my mom being pissed off at the sleeve.

I think my mom bought it for us to listen to. we just didn't talk about the cover.