Need help fixing a weird issue on my laptop

OK, here's my deal, as I recall it. Some details may be inaccurate. :hmm

A few weeks ago, I tried to reinstall the mouse driver on my Windows XP Home laptop, and I accidentally installed a printer driver instead. (I know, dumb mistake, but the two links were right next to each other and I clicked the wrong one.)

I fixed my other problem, but now that mistaken printer driver seems to have convinced my laptop that it has a printer connected to it. Every time I boot this thing up, it "finds" a new piece of hardware (the phantom printer), and it prompts me to install drivers for it.

I can't get rid of this phantom printer. It "finds" it every time, but there's no printer listed under Printers and Faxes. I can't seem to find anything that points to this mysterious printer that I can uninstall or otherwise suppress. I tried to install the drivers it thinks it needs (so I could maybe then uninstall everything), but that didn't impress it.

I think it was the printer driver installation that brought this on, but I might have done some other stuff back then when I was troubleshooting. Regardless of the origin of the issue, I just want to make it go away.

Fortunately, it's not urgent -- this doesn't affect the functioning of the laptop at all, aside from being annoying at startup. But I sure would like to fix it.

Anyone have a clue? Thanks in advance.

Guest ScottHoward

In device manager, it should be listed (maybe not under printers, but somewhere - perhaps with a yellow exclamation point). Disable it.

Disable the print spooler service if you arent printing from the notebook.

In device manager, it should be listed (maybe not under printers, but somewhere - perhaps with a yellow exclamation point). Disable it.

Disable the print spooler service if you arent printing from the notebook.

Yeah, I looked there but only under printers, and it wasn't there. I'll look again next time I boot it up. Thanks for the idea.