MIDI controller

I currently don't have a proper midi controller but I have some programs on my lap top I'd like to run. Does anyone know where I can get a program that can enable my keyboard (keyboard as in letters that I'm currently typing with) as a controller? so I can have A set up as A, W as Bb, D as B, F as C, T as C# (you guys see the pattern..). Any help would be great!

I know M audio makes a good little USB Keyboard that I think comes with some software which would allow you to then actually have a real piano keyboard in front of you. I think this is it.

one of my friends has this and uses it with Reason, which is the software that many of the "big boys" use.

I go to "recording school" and that's pretty much what we use (along with reason). What I mean is for my own personal home use. I want to turn my typing keyboard (QWERTYUIOP etc) into a midi controller, just for convience factor (and I don't really have the money right now to dish out). I know it's possible, I've done it at school but that's on Macs.

Edited by Halcyon

Yeah, the only thing I've seen it on is Apple's garage band. Pretty neat idea. I have no idea what sort of PC application could reproduce this. Maybe head on down to the local Plasma donation center like a good student and pick up some bucks that way. Not the best way to get money, but in two weeks you could get the m-audio keyboard...and a track mark...

Fruity Loops turns a qwerty keyboard into a piano keyboard. Granted, it's not velocity sensitive, but you can go in and change the velocity of each individual note afterward. It basically turns Z-> into C5-C6, and Q-{ into C6-C7. You're not limited to those two octaves, but that's where you'll be playing. I really recommend it, it's what I use on everything I do, even if I'm just mixing.