Ike Reilly Asassination

I checked out Ike's website today and damn, the guy has turned into a regular musician, playing tons of dates all over the country.

It took him a long time, considering he is well into middle age at this point, but he finally arrived. Good for him.

LouieB

Ike gets discussed periodically here. Interesting guy. He lives in the far northern suburbs of Chicago and has been trying to make it as a musician for a couple decades, spending some of his earlier years in a band called the Eisenhowers (hence the name Ike, since is real name is Mike), and working as a doorman at a downtown hotel to pay the bills for his young family. (which is how I know him since he worked with a friend who was a doorman at the same hotel.)

He has had an on again off again kind of career and even now has hardly hit the bigtime. But at least he tours frequently and has put out some somewhat critically successful albums. One of my most memorable nights was hanging out with him at the Gypsy Tea Room in Dallas on a very rainy night.

LouieB

his best cd is a must! salesmen & racists. the rest after that are kinda hit & miss but live the guy's outstanding. i've seen him 5 or 6 times. last time he had first ave PACKED! the time before he had about 3/4 of the entry filled. crazy.
I think you and I have this conversation every time his name comes up. You are right, Salesman was his best album and he seems to have quite the following in Mn...although I am shocked to see all the places he is going on his website....bravo for Ike.....

LouieB

I am glad someone posted the dates, since I have not seen him for a couple years and if I can I would like to catch him. I sent our mutual friend an email to see if he wants to go, but unlike me, he probably won't.

LouieB

yeah, i'm pretty sure you & i are the only two people to talk about him besides the occassional newbie to him.

He played Tropical Heatwave in Tampa, FL back in May and during the performance he said they had never played the SE before. They absolutely stole the festival. The stage they played is called the "cantina", it is the basement of an old cigar factory. The most awesome acoustics because of all of the tile. Anyway, there were people literally hanging on (like in a subway) to hold their spot because the cantina was over capacity. It was an incredible performance.

LouieB, i would love to go to the double door and meet you, but I live too far away. I will just have to live vicariously through your concert experience! :)

Please tune in to 88.5 () 100% comminity supported. It is the best little radio station in the world.

Edited by User

Cool story about the fest. Like I said, I checked out his website and I am astounded at the number of gigs he has. Will check out WMNF. We have a good one here too, WLUW out of Loyola as well as WNUR out of Northwestern.

If I actually do make it to the gig, I will report back so the three of us can talk about it. :cheers

LouieB

yeah, i'm pretty sure you & i are the only two people to talk about him besides the occassional newbie to him.

Aw, c'mon guys!!! I'm always in on the Ike threads. :yes

I've been a huge fan since Salesman & Racists came out...seen him live at 1st ave (numerous), the Entry, Turf Club, Kitty Kat Club (solo), and our band opened for him this summer at Station 4 (our 2nd show ever)

Aw, c'mon guys!!! I'm always in on the Ike threads. :yes

I've been a huge fan since Salesman & Racists came out...seen him live at 1st ave (numerous), the Entry, Turf Club, Kitty Kat Club (solo), and our band opened for him this summer at Station 4 (our 2nd show ever)

Sorry to leave you out......now we are four.... :lol

I just couldn't remember who chimes in on Ike......

LouieB