laptop keyboard question

the "t" on my keyboard has pretty much stopped working. I've tried taking the key off and cleaning off the rubber bumper thingy but it just seems to have lost its will to live.

Do i have to replace the entire keyboard? i could live without a z but my 70 wpm typing really suffers when i have to stop and wack at the t 10 times before it registers.

Please advise.

Any chance the laptop's still under warranty?

When my laptop was delivered (back in December of '02), the Insert key was broken. I called Dell and asked them what I needed to do to repair it. They said it couldn't be repaired -- the whole keyboard needed to be replaced -- and they sent me a special Airborne Express box that fit my laptop (it arrived within 24 hours), which then was used to whisk it away to their Tennessee repair facility and back (within 48 hours). It was quite frustrating to have my new computer arrive and then have to pack it up right away and send it back, but I was really impressed with how quickly they turned it around.

All that to say ... if it's under warranty, contact the manufacturer and see if they're willing to fix it. It's possible that it can be done relatively quickly.

I have an extended waranty from best buy which allows them to keep my laptop for 5 weeks which doesn't work for me so i've been doing the repairs myself. it looks like a replacement keyboard is about $100 but that installing is quite hard. you never know how often you use a key until you find it unavailable.

Any chance the laptop's still under warranty?

When my laptop was delivered (back in December of '02), the Insert key was broken. I called Dell and asked them what I needed to do to repair it. They said it couldn't be repaired -- the whole keyboard needed to be replaced -- and they sent me a special Airborne Express box that fit my laptop (it arrived within 24 hours), which then was used to whisk it away to their Tennessee repair facility and back (within 48 hours). It was quite frustrating to have my new computer arrive and then have to pack it up right away and send it back, but I was really impressed with how quickly they turned it around.

All that to say ... if it's under warranty, contact the manufacturer and see if they're willing to fix it. It's possible that it can be done relatively quickly.

the "t" on my keyboard has pretty much stopped working. I've tried taking the key off and cleaning off the rubber bumper thingy but it just seems to have lost its will to live.

Do i have to replace the entire keyboard? i could live without a z but my 70 wpm typing really suffers when i have to stop and wack at the t 10 times before it registers.

Please advise.

I had a phone where the 5 didn't work so I threw it away

I don't think that helps you much, though . . . :unsure

I have a regular keyboard that I plug into the laptop whenever I do any serious typing.

I have a regular keyboard that I plug into the laptop whenever I do any serious typing.

i have a regular desktop computer too, both at home and the office. The laptop is when we're watching TV or when i want to shop and post from bed, or when i'm traveling.

i have a regular desktop computer too, both at home and the office. The laptop is when we're watching TV or when i want to shop and post from bed, or when i'm traveling.

It's OK. You don't have to justify your computer usage to me. My laptop is my only personal personal computer, and I have a tendency to pound the keys hard when I get in a literary lather, so a regular keyboard is easier on my fingers.