probably a dumb question

lets say i have an a power chord on the 8th fret. could i make it into a chord like this if i wanted to use the lower strings too?

e -----------------------8----------------

b -----------------------8----------------

g -----------------------9----------------

d ----------------------10------------------

a ---10----------------10-------------------

e ---8------------------8-------------------

lets say i have an a power chord on the 8th fret. could i make it into a chord like this if i wanted to use the lower strings too?

e -----------------------8----------------

b -----------------------8----------------

g -----------------------9----------------

d ----------------------10------------------

a ---10----------------10-------------------

e ---8------------------8-------------------

yeppers. couple of pointers--typically when referring to "low strings" a lot of folks will think you're talking about the thicker strings. Also, be careful when converting a power chord to a full chord, as some may be major (like the one you showed), and some may be minor chords (or a host of others).

I good way to practice this is to take a "power chord" song, and leave the power chords out entirely. play triads on the g,b and e strings. It'll help teach you some basic chords progressions, etc.

I am no expert on guitar by any means--I tought myself to play when I was around 14, and have taken one lesson in my life. so my guitar-speak is less than accelerated. but don't be afraid to ask questions that may seem stupid or whatever--despite any sarcastic-ass responses you may get, we've all been there before...

yeppers. couple of pointers--typically when referring to "low strings" a lot of folks will think you're talking about the thicker strings. Also, be careful when converting a power chord to a full chord, as some may be major (like the one you showed), and some may be minor chords (or a host of others).

I good way to practice this is to take a "power chord" song, and leave the power chords out entirely. play triads on the g,b and e strings. It'll help teach you some basic chords progressions, etc.

I am no expert on guitar by any means--I tought myself to play when I was around 14, and have taken one lesson in my life. so my guitar-speak is less than accelerated. but don't be afraid to ask questions that may seem stupid or whatever--despite any sarcastic-ass responses you may get, we've all been there before...

hey thanks alot. i always get confused when saying low strings cause i can never remember if they considered low by where they're at or pitch.

but i'll try that ting with the triads. i've been playing more chord based songs here lately and i'm really trying to get some good chord progressions of my own going.

i started when i was about 11-12 and took lessons for two years but all he made me do was bring an album in and pick a song and he'd teach it to me, so i really didn't learn anything about music theory at all.

thanks again though!

You could definately change that C power chord into a C major chord or it could be

-----Minor--------7th--------Minor 7th

e 8---------------8----------8

b 8---------------8----------8

g 8---------------9----------8

d 10--------------8----------8

a 10--------------10--------10

e 8---------------8----------8

Those are your three main inversions of a C chord using all six strings. Which chord you use depends on what key the song is in and how you want it to sound.

Those are your three main inversions of a C chord using all six strings. Which chord you use depends on what key the song is in and how you want it to sound.

Those are very important chord shapes to know for sure, but just to be technical they aren't really inversions.

Two excellent points

• 4 months later...

If you want them to be bar chords this is probably the most common positions.

D A G Bm Bm

e 5---5---3---7---2-

b 7---5---3---7---3-

g 7---6---4---7---4-

d 7---7---5---9---4-

a 5---7---5---9---2-

e ----5---3---7------

If you want them to be bar chords this is probably the most common positions.

D A G Bm Bm

e 5---5---3---7---2-

b 7---5---3---7---3-

g 7---6---4---7---4-

d 7---7---5---9---4-

a 5---7---5---9---2-

e ----5---3---7------

thank you very much!