Nels interview

Nels is just so great and brings a presence to Wilco that makes the entire group special. I think the anticipation when it was announced that he was joining the band has been fulfilled.

Meanwhile if you want to check out the Chicago Improvisors, including Ken Vandermark and his crowd, they perform every Wednesday at the Hideout. I have only made it to one of these events, but if others ever want to go, please feel free to PM me, because I sometimes need the extra motivation on a school night of some company. 11/1 (Jim Baker) and 11/8 (Vandermark 5) both promise to be very cool.

LouieB

Thanks for linking that article jff. I did enjoy. Nels seems like such a sincere cat. I'm interested in checking out some of his other work. Any suggestions on where to start?

If i'm ever in Chicago on a Wednesday night Louie I'm calling you out.

I'm interested in checking out some of his other work. Any suggestions on where to start?

Any of his releases on the Cryptogramophone label are good places to start, as they're a pretty good rerpresentation of what he does when he is the boss. Those include 'The Inkling", "Instrumentals", "The Giant Pin" and "New Monastery".

If you want to hear him playing rock music you might want to check out Mike Watt's "Contemplating the Engine Room" (he also shines on Watt's "Ball Hog or Tugboat", but he's only on part of that album).