Installing Pickups

I have an old Harmony archtop that I would really like to put a humbucker (or two) in. I just wanted some feedback to see if this is worth my effort and $$. I think it would sound cool, but don't know how much it would cost or what all is necessary. The guitar currently has no form of electronics.

I have an old Harmony archtop that I would really like to put a humbucker (or two) in. I just wanted some feedback to see if this is worth my effort and $$. I think it would sound cool, but don't know how much it would cost or what all is necessary. The guitar currently has no form of electronics.

DON'T DO IT.

Unless this thing has been altered in some drastic way from it's original configuration, or in such poor condition it's irreperably damaged it's always a mistake/shame to rout a hole in the top of one of these.

You'd be better off selling it to someone who can appreciate it the way it is and then putting the proceeds towards something that'll better accommodate your needs.

There have also been top mount floating pickups made over the years that can get you where you want to be without all the major modifications; ( DeArmond was one manufacturer...probably still out there available somewhere).

hey, just remember,

if you plan on having it forever, do whatever you want to it.

i dont care if it is a squier, and adding stickers or adding a bigsby to one of eric claptons originals. if you want it done, do it. don t think of the devaluing of it or such, thats when things get out of hand, and when people start collecting and stop playing.

which is goofy to me. its like a person with no feet collecting shoes. lol.

i say this due to a few weeks ago being asked why i would want to put a vibrola on a rare sg. my retort was, because i dont care of the value, i care about how it plays.

i know this is getting all pretentious, and blowhard, as forum speak can get, (text can sound so cold, mean, and germanic)))) but strive to make your stuff sound better. not more expensive.