I need a keyboard instrument.. I'd really like to find a Rhodes but I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon so I am thinking about getting a synth. I've narrowed it down to the Roland SH-201 or the Alesis ION. Does anyone have any experience with either of these? I'd like to hear some opinions before I go out and buy one.

The band I was in for a few years had an Alesis ION, MicroKorg, Korg MS-20, and a Korg Kontrol 49. The ION has a lot of great sounds, but if your wanting to emulate analog instruments it's not the best option. I have a Kontrol49 and Reason 3 and for me it's the best option you can get a absoloutly huge amount of sounds out of it. It's great if you are wanting to use it just at home, or you don't mind lugging a laptop around with you. From what I have seen of the SH-201, its the best of both worlds. Personally, I would go with that over the ION.

When I bought a synth I elected to buy a guitar synth, Roland GR-20, and use it to control the KorgKLC1 soft-synth. Since I don't play keys that great it worked for me. However I tried many traditional keyed synths and of all I like the modeling ones the best. The newer synths seemed to be geared towards dance and electronica stuff. I just wanted good old analog noise, the modelers handle that.

Yeah that's my problem with the MicroKorg, it's all dance stuff. I think there's a huge market out there for affordable analog synths but no one seems to be trying to tap into it.