Ramblin' Jack Elliott/Califone

Saw a strange - but great - double bill of Ramblin' Jack Elliott and Califone last night at the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston. Califone played first and they were great. I am not that familiar with them (having only seen them open for Wilco) but I really enjoyed it. They made a number of comments about how they are used to playing in loud bars rather than really quiet auditoriums and how they were a little unnerved and our being able to hear everything they said to each other onstage. Some of the folkies were not sure what to make of the more dissonant stuff Califone played.

Then Ramblin Jack came out and played for about an hour. He was pretty spry for a 75 year old. He told lots of funny stories between songs and reminisced about driving around Boston (and getting lost) with Dylan in 1962. He did a great Dylan impression before he played Don

Any guy who was a huge influence on Dylan is alright by me. I've been listening to him for awhile now and agree with many that he's a ntional treasure in the sense that evryone seems to be able to relate to his songs (my kids really dig his stuff, too). If you haven't listened to his latest, I Stand Alone, do yourself a favor and pick it up. His best album in years (actually, I think it's been since the late 90s that he's put out a solo album).

:music any tapers???

Didn't see any - but I wasn't looking very hard.

The sound in the place was great, and the crowd was very quiet, so I would bet a recording would sound great.

Bradley's Almanac (a great blog) often has recordings from the MFA shows so I'll keep an eye out on his site.