Michael Brecker 1949 - 2007

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070114/ap_en_mu/obit_brecker

Michael Brecker, a versatile and influential tenor saxophonist who won 11 Grammys over a career that spanned more than three decades, died Saturday. He was 57.

Brecker died in a hospital in New York City of leukemia, according to his longtime friend and manager, Darryl Pitt.

In recent years, the saxophonist had struggled with myelodysplastic syndrome, a cancer in which the bone marrow stops producing enough healthy blood cells. The disease, known as MDS, often progresses to leukemia.

Alice Coltrane passed away on Friday. We lost 2 giants this weekend.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070114/ts_al...us_070114220306

I had not read that Alice Coltrane passed away. This is also sad, but she wasn't a giant.

(I am not even sure Micheal Brecker was a giant, he was a very talented and prolific musican however.) She was the reasonably talented, second wife of John Coltrane, who was a giant. Had she not been associated with him, we may never have even heard of her.

None the less this is sad news.

LouieB

I had not read that Alice Coltrane passed away. This is also sad, but she wasn't a giant.

(I am not even sure Micheal Brecker was a giant, he was a very talented and prolific musican however.) She was the reasonably talented, second wife of John Coltrane, who was a giant. Had she not been associated with him, we may never have even heard of her.

None the less this is sad news.

LouieB

Her albums set a landmark in jazz. Sadly, like you point out, her husband was a giant, so she was always in his shadow (not on purpose, of course). And by the time she made her most important work, most people avoided it because the cynical 70s have already crushed most peoples' dreams concerning the messages she was presenting with her music... Personally, I hope that her death will let people be able to take a second chance with her without the weight of the times (the late 1960s, 1970s) preventing them to fully take on the task.

Her albums set a landmark in jazz. Sadly, like you point out, her husband was a giant, so she was always in his shadow (not on purpose, of course). And by the time she made her most important work, most people avoided it because the cynical 70s have already crushed most peoples' dreams concerning the messages she was presenting with her music... Personally, I hope that her death will let people be able to take a second chance with her without the weight of the times (the late 1960s, 1970s) preventing them to fully take on the task.
What landmark are you referring to?? Her musicianship or the spiritual/message?

LouieB

I heard a bunch of Alice Coltrane and Michael Brecker last night on WGBH in Boston's Eric in the Evening jazz program, and I have nothing nice to say about what I heard.
Meaning?? You didn't like it or what?

LouieB

Meaning?? You didn't like it or what?

I didn't like it. I mean, RIP and all, but yikes. Alice Coltrane's tunes were super-bugged out (wayyy out, like I even pictured Pharoah Sanders going "Man this is some trippy shit*" during it), and Brecker's sounded like mall music. Granted this was a 20-30 minute sampling of the artists, but I trust the host of that show to showcase what these people were about.

*not that I don't dig some trippy shit, but it was also unremarkable.

I didn't like it. I mean, RIP and all, but yikes. Alice Coltrane's tunes were super-bugged out (wayyy out, like I even pictured Pharoah Sanders going "Man this is some trippy shit*" during it), and Brecker's sounded like mall music. Granted this was a 20-30 minute sampling of the artists, but I trust the host of that show to showcase what these people were about.

*not that I don't dig some trippy shit, but it was also unremarkable.

If you see my comments above, when someone called both of these individuals "giants" I commented that I felt that neither fit that description. Brecker was certainly a competent and ubiquitous sideman, but I never got the feeling he was a jazz heavyweight by any stretch of the imagination. Nothing wrong with having a great career as a sideman, but he isn't one of immortals.

I also commented that Alice's chief claim to fame was her relationship with one of the true giants, John Coltrane himself. Nothing in Alice's work in John late career bands was that outstanding as far as I was concerned either and her trippy spiritual work never struck a chord with me personally. I admit I only heard one or two of her solo albums (Journey to Satchedenanda was big when I was in college), but it certainly was nothing I ever felt like I needed to re-live after those years. All her work seems to be in print, since I saw much of it at Laurie's yesterday. Frankly I am surprised it still has some reasonance for someone.

LouieB