Did anybody else see Incident at Loch Ness? By the end you might be convinced that Herzog's rep as a humorless tyrant is the real hoax.

Yeah - I mentioned that one in my earlier list only because it's great to see that he has a sense of humor about himself and his reputation. He's so intense and almost arrogant in commentaries and interviews, so it is a lot of fun to see him to see him "playing" Herzog.

Someone posted this story here awhile back, for some reason it always makes me laugh

Herzog shot with air rifle

Yeah - I mentioned that one in my earlier list only because it's great to see that he has a sense of humor about himself and his reputation. He's so intense and almost arrogant in commentaries and interviews, so it is a lot of fun to see him to see him "playing" Herzog.

Someone posted this story here awhile back, for some reason it always makes me laugh

Herzog shot with air rifle

It was me that posted it. It was from the BBC's Culture Show.

Here's the clip on youtube

Looks like I need to see Incident at Loch Ness, I'd heard of it, but never bothered to check it out.

Nothing new to add really, one of my favorite directors, Aguirre is it. All the Kinski films are at least a view. Strozeck is wonderful, all the documentaries are musts, the early ones for sure. If you can hunt down the Even Dwarfs Started Small DVD, the commentary with Werner, Crispin Glover & Norman Hill is great. See Lessons of Darkness and absolutely see Fata Morgana.

Herzog on Film:

Film is not the art of scholars, but of illiterates.
We are surrounded by worn-out images, and we deserve new ones.

Kinski on Herzog:

Herzog is a miserable, hateful, malevolent, avaricious, money-hungry, nasty, sadistic, treacherous, cowardly creep...he should be thrown alive to the crocodiles! An anaconda should strangle him slowly! A poisonous spider should sting him and paralyze his lungs! The most venomous serpent should bite him and make his brain explode! No panther claws should rip open his throat--that would be much too good for him! Huge red ants should piss into his lying eyes and gobble up his balls and his guts! He should catch the plague! Syphilis! Yellow fever! Leprosy! It's no use; the more I wish him the most gruesome deaths, the more he haunts me.
  • 1 month later...

I watched Kaspar Hauser last night. It was a pretty cool film, and very funny at times. It was also really interesting to see Hauser, an adult child, make observations as he proceeded in his learnings. Not a fast-paced thriller by any stretch of the imagination, but worth a watch for anyone remotely interested in humanity/cognition/philosophy, etc.

Since this thread has been brought back up...

Yesterday I was trying to find the soundtrack for (or the music that was used in) White Diamond, all I remember is that there was a cello and some kind of throat singing. It's really beautiful and eerie and haunting. Does anyone know what this is? I looked through the Popul Vuh albums, thinking that since they had been involved with other Herzog films I would find it there, but no luck.

Ahhh - I think I found it. If anyone else is interested:

In Colla Voche, Dutch cellist Ernst Reijseger, Sardinian vocal choirs Tenore and Concordu de Orosei, and Scottish percussionist Alan "Gunga" Purves create a soothing album of beautiful melodies with a strong focus on harmonies.
  • 2 months later...