Marfa is a weird place

I loved it when i went out there to see Joanna Newsom. Definitely weird, but definitely beautiful. One of the coolest places I've ever seen a show.

I took some pics when I went out there. If you're interested, they're here. There are a bunch of pics you probably won't find interesting, though, like my girlfriend and I in front of a mountain.

I don't know much about Marfa, so why are good bands playing there instead of San Antonio or Houston?

San Antonio and Houston are somewhat lacking in good venues from what I understand. Marfa is becoming a viable stop for touring bands between Austin and New Mexico/Arizona. It's tiny but it's super arty. The Secret Machines wrote their new album out there. Lots of authors go out there to work, and the Chinati foundation has a big collection of modern art and sculpture out there. It is also about 10,000 times prettier than Houston, which is easily the lamest big city in Texas. So even if people don't actually live there, they will come in from El Paso, the college down the road in Alpine, etc. ,etc.

San Antonio and Houston are somewhat lacking in good venues from what I understand. Marfa is becoming a viable stop for touring bands between Austin and New Mexico/Arizona. It's tiny but it's super arty. The Secret Machines wrote their new album out there. Lots of authors go out there to work, and the Chinati foundation has a big collection of modern art and sculpture out there. It is also about 10,000 times prettier than Houston, which is easily the lamest big city in Texas. So even if people don't actually live there, they will come in from El Paso, the college down the road in Alpine, etc. ,etc.

I'm from San Antonio originally and there really aren't any good venues (that i've heard of/can think of) for someone like Jeff or Joanna Newsom to play. I can't speak for Houston.

It seems Marfa is a sort of trendy place to play at as well. What is strange is that Jeff is going from Dallas to Marfa to Austin. I suppose it doesn't matter to him.. he's not driving.