Search the Sky Blue

a certain UT geek pointed out that combining The Search with SBS would be make a great record. Personally I haven't listened to each enough to pick favourites and duds.

But here are the ground rules - Choose roughly an equal number of songs from each and post a track listing. You have a limit of 12 tracks.

to 'Search the Sky Blue' (or whatever other name you want to come up with) from a reformed Uncle Tupelo

I was thinking about this very exercise just the other day. Years ago, the last time Wilco and Son Volt released albums in the same year, I made an "A.M. Trace" compilation just for the sheer fun of it. While it sounded basically like an Uncle Tupelo album, I think the juxtaposition between Jay and Jeff's work is a lot less complementary today than it was back in '95. The Search and SBS are both frigging excellent, but they don't sound too much alike. That said, I think my copy of "Sky Blue Search" would look something like this, based not necessarily on my favourite songs from each disc, but rather what I think would sound best as a single set:

1. Slow Hearse

2. The Picture

3. You Are My Face

4. Circadian Rhythm

5. Impossible Germany

6. The Search

7. Sky Blue Sky

(Wow, I just realized that these albums having title tracks is a first for both Wilco and SV)

8. Methamphetamine

9. Please Be Patient

10. L-Train

11. I Hate It Here

12. Highway and Cigarettes

13. What Light

14. On and On and On

I'm just pedantic enough to sit around wondering why the album is called Summerteeth while the song is "Summer Teeth."

It's clearly a foreshadow of the cryptic qualities that would soon inform YHF.

And I don't really think of live albums as a part of any artist's canon, but I guess ya got me there.

Nah, I pretty much agree.

I was thinking about this very exercise just the other day. Years ago, the last time Wilco and Son Volt released albums in the same year, I made an "A.M. Trace" compilation just for the sheer fun of it. While it sounded basically like an Uncle Tupelo album, I think the juxtaposition between Jay and Jeff's work is a lot less complementary today than it was back in '95. The Search and SBS are both frigging excellent, but they don't sound too much alike. That said, I think my copy of "Sky Blue Search" would look something like this, based not necessarily on my favourite songs from each disc, but rather what I think would sound best as a single set:

1. Slow Hearse

2. The Picture

3. You Are My Face

4. Circadian Rhythm

5. Impossible Germany

6. The Search

7. Sky Blue Sky

(Wow, I just realized that these albums having title tracks is a first for both Wilco and SV)

8. Methamphetamine

9. Please Be Patient

10. L-Train

11. I Hate It Here

12. Highway and Cigarettes

13. What Light

14. On and On and On

weird. i was just now listening to an uncle tupelo playlist and thought how much i liked the contrast b/w jay and jeff on the same album.

this seems like a hit, themaker. i just made this playlist and will give it a try.