Thinking about building my own 000-style acoustic

I found a website that sells a kit to make your own 12 fret slothead 000-style acoustic guitar:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Kits/Acoustic_...uitar_Kits.html

I'm seriously thinking about trying this out, but I was wondering if anyone on the board has had any experience with building an acoustic guitar and could give me any advice or warnings before I invest too much into this project.

The hard thing is making the guitar play well. I would go buy a cheapo acoustic, and put a new nut an saddle on it and refret it. This will give you a little practice on fretting a guitar. Also it would be a good idea to read some books on the subject. Alot of libraries have old books about building classical guitars written by the old spanish guys, you could get some good tips from those as well as some newers ones. Whatever you do, don't get excited and do it fast. These can be killer guitars iif you take your time.

Well, this isn't something I can do right away, I don't really have a work area set up or the proper tools for it right now, I was thinking more down the road. You're right, it's a big project and I want to make sure I know, more or less, what I'm doing before undertaking it. I think, when I get the chance, I'll buy or borrow a book on acoustic guitar making and start practicing some of the things I'd need to be able to do.

• 2 weeks later...