looking for a job?

Clicky

They can't seem to get anyone to take the job, so send in your resume!

White House considers war overseer

Wed Apr 11, 12:31 PM ET

The White House is considering naming a high-powered official to oversee the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and report directly to President Bush and National Security Adviser Stephen Hadley.

The goal would be to improve the coordination of military and civilian efforts in Iraq and Afghanistan by different parts of the government.

The Washington Post reported that the White House has approached at least three retired four-star generals in recent weeks, but they have declined to be considered for the position.

National Security Council spokesman Gordon Johndroe said Wednesday the White House has sought advice from a number of people but that no one has been offered the job.

Currently, the most senior White House official responsible exclusively for the wars is Meghan O'Sullivan, a deputy national security adviser who reports to Hadley. She has announced she is leaving, presenting an opportunity for the White House to rethink how it manages the wars.

"The White House is looking into creating a higher profile position that would have the single, full time focus on implementing and executing the recently completed strategic reviews for both Iraq and Afghanistan," Johndroe said. "This position would report directly to the president as well as Steve Hadley and have representatives in the offices of the secretaries of State and Defense in order to speed up and make more efficient the implementation of these strategies."

Presidential spokeswoman Dana Perino refused to say whether anyone had turned down the job.

"I will stress to you that there have been no decisions about any possible change in structure," Perino said. "There has been no list of candidates that's been narrowed down. It's an idea that is one very much in the making, so I don't have any more specifics for you that I can give to you on that."

Democrats poked fun at the White House for searching for an official to oversee the wars.

"Someone needs to tell Steve Hadley that position is filled, it's the commander in chief, unless the decider's become the delegator," said Rep. Rahm Emanuel, D-Ill.

I'd do it but I'm afraid I'd make Brigadere General Jack D. Ripper look like Gandhi.

From Salon.com's "War Room" blog yesterday:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Cheney in charge

The Washington Post says that the White House is looking for a "war czar" to oversee the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. The catch? Dick Cheney already has the job, and he's not letting go.

That's how retired Marine Gen. Jack Sheehan sees it, anyway. Sheehan says the White House offered him the "war czar" job recently but that he turned it down because he thinks Cheney and his people still have the most pull within the administration. "There's the residue of the Cheney view -- 'We're going to win, al-Qaida's there' -- that justifies anything we did," Sheehan said. "And then there's the pragmatist view -- how the hell do we get out of Dodge and survive? Unfortunately, the people with the former view are still in the positions of most influence."

The even more "fundamental issue"? Sheehan said that administration officials "don't know where the hell they're going." And that, he said, made it easy for him to say that he wouldn't be going back to work for the government. "Rather than go over there, develop an ulcer and eventually leave, I said, 'No, thanks.'"

The Post says two other retired generals, Army Gen. Jack Keane and Air Force Gen. Joseph Ralston, have also turned away inquiries about the job.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

In other words, yes, a few people have already turned down the job.