Hate it Here video

I don't understand. The better takes would be less polished? Its no doubt Wilco can afford high tech recording, but its all analog, pretty much everything after Summerteeth (SBS included) is way more natural sounding to my ears then any other band at their success level, or below it for that matter.

Jethro's post above did a good job clarifying my point. Better to me is obviously different than better to someone else. I think more slop, off the cuff type recording would do them so good. The production sounds good per se, but the live versions of Wilco songs usually come to surpass their studio originals because they are a bit more raw, more energetic, along with some slight tweakings of the arrangements as the band figures out how they song sounds best.

Jethro's post above did a good job clarifying my point. Better to me is obviously different than better to someone else. I think more slop, off the cuff type recording would do them so good. The production sounds good per se, but the live versions of Wilco songs usually come to surpass their studio originals because they are a bit more raw, more energetic, along with some slight tweakings of the arrangements as the band figures out how they song sounds best.

Yeah they definitly sparkle in the live setting. Hence the constant enjoyment of Kicking Television. I can see how if rawness is what attracts you to the band how the restrained playing, the maturity and perfectionism on SBS can cut down on that for you. Maybe the bonus DVD will have tons of loose, rockin early versions of these tunes for you to enjoy until they come to your town and use Side With the Seeds to blow your face off. Until then you will have to sew elbow patches on your cordorouy jacket and take what we can get outta SBS. :monkey

:brow

I prefer the albums over KT/boots - I can't imagine I'm in the minority.

Among the people I know, there are a lot of people who prefer the live versions. But I'm really glad we've got both to choose from -- clean studio versions and various incarnations of the live versions. If the studio versions were raw, we'd only have one option.