Larry Campbell article

Thanks for posting. Larry Campbell is awesome. When he and Sexton left Dylan's band, it was devastating (especially to the band).

The quality of the music on Time Out of Mind and Love & Theft vs. Modern Times (without Campbell & Sexton) is incomparable.

Jeez, I didn't know Phil Lesh had prostate cancer.

Thanks for posting. Larry Campbell is awesome. When he and Sexton left Dylan's band, it was devastating (especially to the band).

The quality of the music on Time Out of Mind and Love & Theft vs. Modern Times (without Campbell & Sexton) is incomparable.

Campbell & Sexton didn't play on Time Out Of Mind, but I agree that they were a major part of what made his band good recently. If you've ever heard Larry's production and arrangements on Diamond Jubiliation by The Dixie Hummingbirds, you'll know that he was a big part in making Love & Theft so good.

I'll be damned, you're right. Oh well; I was actually thinking most about the work on Love & Theft, I just assumed they were on Time Out of Mind too.

It's interesting when you compare the music of L&T vs MT. It's the same kind of music, same style, yet it sounds vastly better on L&T.

I think there was a thread about it - probably got burried pretty quick.

I used to be a pretty big Dead/Dead-related fan (not so much Ratdog), but I think I've had my fill by now. I probably just ignored it.

But I'm glad that Phil is recovering. He seems like genuinely good guy.

I used to be a pretty big Dead/Dead-related fan (not so much Ratdog), but I think I've had my fill by now.

Reach out your hand if your cup be empty

If your cup is full may it be again

Let it be known there is a fountain

That was not made by the hands of men

It's interesting when you compare the music of L&T vs MT. It's the same kind of music, same style, yet it sounds vastly better on L&T.

Yeah, definately agree. The difference really, though, is that the guitars on Love & Theft are melodic and are a deeply part structural of the music, whereas on Modern Times they act as solo instruments.

Have you heard that Dixie Hummingbirds album I mentioned in the last post. It's really good stuff - Garth Hudson, Levon Helm, Larry Campbell, George Recile, Tony Garnier and Dr John are the musicians, with the The Dixie Hummingbirds providing the vocals. And Larry produces. The music is all religious in content, but if you're not religious, and can put that aside, it's great music.

LC deserves more attention than he receives, which is just about none. He does and has accomplished as much musically in relative anonimity than anyone I can think of. His years with Charlie Sexton backing Dylan were Dylan's best on stage in last fifteen years. (I was going to say twenty years, but TP and the Heartbreakers were a pretty decent backing band.)

>Garth Hudson, Levon Helm, Larry Campbell, George Recile, Tony Garnier and Dr John are the musicians, with the The Dixie Hummingbirds providing the vocals

I didn't know that. That's sounds incredible.

>Garth Hudson, Levon Helm, Larry Campbell, George Recile, Tony Garnier and Dr John are the musicians, with the The Dixie Hummingbirds providing the vocals

I didn't know that. That's sounds incredible.

Yeah, it is pretty good. I'll upload a song for anyone that wants to hear it. Give me a few minutes, though.

His years with Charlie Sexton backing Dylan were Dylan's best on stage in last fifteen years.

I agree completely. I might be wrong, but didn't he join Dylan just after Time Out of Mind was released and was a part of the endless tour that started with Time Out of Mind? Because of that, there seems to be a natural affiliation with him and that album, for me anyway.