Channeling "Double Fantasy"-era Lennon, "Hate It Here"

yahoo entertainment news

Music Review: Wilco strikes mellow vibe By SCOTT BAUER, Associated Press Writer Mon May 14, 2:28 PM ET

Wilco, "Sky Blue Sky" (Nonesuch): Wilco can't be all things to all people.

Anyone looking for a return to the brilliance of its breakout record "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot" is bound to be disappointed with the Chicago band's latest "Sky Blue Sky." So too will anyone who hopes that the slightly countrified sound of the brilliantly simple single, "What Light," extends to the entire album.

But don't lose faith, "Sky Blue Sky" delivers the goods. It's got a 1970s retro feel to it, while also sounding completely modern.

And make no mistake about it, Wilco is Jeff Tweedy's band. The songwriter and lead singer, sounding more like

John Lennon than ever before, explores some common themes of love, relationships and commitment.

"Sky Blue Sky" is a straight-ahead, guitar and singer-centered record. It's mellow without being boring, catchy without being kitsch and thoughtful without being pretentious.

"What Light" is a standout track, sort of Wilco's version of "Forever Young." The leadoff song, "Either Way" is enticingly laid-back. "Maybe the sun will shine today," Tweedy sings plaintively.

For Wilco fans, there is plenty of sun shining throughout the "Sky Blue Sky."

CHECK THIS OUT: Channeling "Double Fantasy"-era Lennon, "Hate It Here" is the ultimate song for any husband left alone for any period of time, trying to fill the time by doing the dishes, mowing the lawn and changing the sheets. "What am I gonna do if you never come home" Tweedy sings. "Tell me, what am I gonna do?"

I actually downloaded a copy of Bob Seger's "Old Time Rock n Roll" for those rare times that I'm alone in the house for more than 20 minutes.

P.S. I had to buy the pair of tighty whities, because you can't download those yet. Damn you, internet.