Daniel Johnston in NYC tomorrow

I could be wrong, but Johnston's entire celebrity seems predicated upon a lot of people convincing themselves that he's a brilliant artist because wouldn't it be cool if this dysfunctional guy were a genius? And we were cool enough to recognize it? I have a sneaking suspicion that the idea of Daniel Johnston is far more compelling than the reality of Daniel Johnston. (That seemed to be the real theme of that documentary about him, even if the filmmakers, too, were completely sucked into the myth.) There's something oddly patronizing about the whole thing.

That said, I'd probably go see him if given the chance.

have you guys actully taken the time to listen to his music? THERE IS A REASON THEY WERE SUCKED IN!

Get off your high horses and listen, listen to the words, listen to the melody and try to tell me he isnt an amazing songwriter. If examples need be given by all means i will

have you guys actully taken the time to listen to his music? THERE IS A REASON THEY WERE SUCKED IN!

Get off your high horses and listen, listen to the words, listen to the melody and try to tell me he isnt an amazing songwriter. If examples need be given by all means i will

I have listened to him a LOT over the years. As I mentioned, I like quite a few of his songs. Just didn't really feel the need to see him perform live last night, that's all.

Covers of his songs are way better than him playing them.* i.e. He's a good songwriter, but doesn't have the best vocals and isn't the greatest musician.

*I particularly like To Go Home by M. Ward.