Morrissey at the Auditorium Theater

This one I have to chalk up to Rosie (formerly Tweedy's Gurl) for asking to go. Frankly I would not have gone, but after being a Smith's fan and liking some of Morrissey's solo work, I figured what the heck, let's check his show out. It is always fun to go to the Auditorium, site of so many special Wilco shows (not to mention seeing Springsteen and Zappa there back in my youth.)

There was a capacity crowd, although I don't believe it sold out. We ended up in row S of the first balcony, which despite being kind of far back. the entire set up of the Auditorium is so cool it didn't feel that bad. It is a bit vertigo inducing getting there though, but it could have been the second balcony which is much further up. The show opened with a sort of shreeky female singer on keyboards and her drummer; sort of a cross between Deerhoof and Bjork. Entertaining enough, particulary since she was wearing this outfit with large plastic bubbles on it.

Between the opener and Morrissey they played some very fun film clips of foreign TV shows, including one of the New York Dolls, a clip of a wardrobe check of James Dean in East of Eden and some other assorted crazy found footage.

Morrissey's set was about two hours long including a two song encore. His six piece band was great, as was the lighting and other effects. I didn't know every song, but knew enough to keep interested, with a handful of Smith's songs and several solo songs I did know. What struck me was how comfortable and personal he was on stage, throwing in enigmatic comments between songs and really being involved in the songs themselves. (Two of the band members were from Chicago which was kind of cool too.) The crowd loved the show and I have to admit I was really pulled in as well. He covered a Bowie song that Rosie recognized, but I didn't. All in all it was a very fun show, with Morrissey changing shirts at least three times, shaking hands with the crowd at the stage at the end (under the watchful eye of security), a few folks rushing on stage to hug him and being hauled off, and just a general good time.

Having seen Morrissey now once in my life, I can cross this off of experiences I need. But who knows, perhaps I will see him again.

LouieB

I've seen him three times now and he's never disappointed... a great show man and had plenty of tunes to play.
My only frame of reference on seeing him was from some friends who were fanatics (and got me into him and the Smiths decades ago when the Smiths were still together) saw him at the Aragon I think and indicated that he played a short set. This set was certainly not short, and the was pretty dramatic. As I said, I was impressed that he really seemed to be genuinely connecting with the audience and pleased to be performing.

LouieB