Stupid question about cable-provided DVRs

Our one splurge with some wedding money is to buy an LCD HD TV. Of course I now have to change my cable package. While I'm at it I'm also switching from my Version 1 Tivo to the HD DVR that Comcast provides. My stupid question is, is the DVR also the channel tuner or is there a separate cable box PLUS the DVR?

Right now we have a digital cable box, plus the Tivo. The Tivo doesn't allow for easy use of the On Demand features accessible through the cable box. So, I'm switching to the cable-provided DVR to make life easier. When I trade in my basic digital box for the HD box will it be the tuner/DVR or will they give me two new boxes to hook together?

On my Comcast system the DVR was separate from the channel tuner. the separate tuner was a pretty small unit though, about the size of a dvd player.

I recently switched to DirecTV and do not like it nearly as much as the cable (Comcast), though. No "On Demand" and horribly small print for channel surfing. I'd gladly take the separate units back.

Our one splurge with some wedding money is to buy an LCD HD TV. Of course I now have to change my cable package. While I'm at it I'm also switching from my Version 1 Tivo to the HD DVR that Comcast provides. My stupid question is, is the DVR also the channel tuner or is there a separate cable box PLUS the DVR?

Right now we have a digital cable box, plus the Tivo. The Tivo doesn't allow for easy use of the On Demand features accessible through the cable box. So, I'm switching to the cable-provided DVR to make life easier. When I trade in my basic digital box for the HD box will it be the tuner/DVR or will they give me two new boxes to hook together?

It's all one box. You're going to miss your TiVo. I had a Comcast HD DVR and got so tired of it missing recordings, I finally splurged for the HD TiVo Series3. Save up, the price on the Series3s is coming down. Are you paying monthly on the TiVo or do you have a lifetime subscription?

I have a monthly subscription. Actually, we just found out this morning that Comcast is getting a brand new model next week that has everything all in one box. Hopefully they've fixed whatever bugs may have been in the old one. I love the Tivo, but I've basically come to the conclusion that I don't want to spend the money on a new box that will become obsolete and worthless in a few years (just like the one I'm stuck with now) when I can just pay the monthly fee to rent one and trade up when new ones become available. That's just me.

Guest Jules

The newest Comcast HD DVRs are pretty good. Make sure you get the dual-tuner box so you can record/watch two shows at once. They've always had everything in one box to my knowledge (at least since 2004).

Oh, and if you are getting a large size TV (42" or larger), consider plasmas.

Thanks, Jules. I'll make sure about the dual DVR but I'm pretty sure that's what they're going to be getting. I got a 32" Panasonic LCD. Thankfully we couldn't go too nuts with the size because we wanted it to fit in our existing Mission style TV cabinet. The 32" barely fits (we bought it last night). Even normal TV looks phenomenal on it.

Thanks, Jules. I'll make sure about the dual DVR but I'm pretty sure that's what they're going to be getting. I got a 32" Panasonic LCD. Thankfully we couldn't go too nuts with the size because we wanted it to fit in our existing Mission style TV cabinet. The 32" barely fits (we bought it last night). Even normal TV looks phenomenal on it.

Jen...can you point me in the direction of info on trading up with comcast. I got the HD DVR Tuner etc when i moved out here 2 months ago...and it was seperate units. i wouldn't mind looking into trading up for the new version. BTW...I was a first generation TV user to, and i am a big fan of the Comcast DVR...

Will

I'm afraid I can't offer much information. We had the regular digital cable box and a Tivo, so I don't know the specifics of what they have been distributing in the past, and since they don't have the new tuner/DVR units in yet, I don't know what those are either. I'll be sure to fill you in when I get it though!

And, congratulations!!!