Great Divide Mountain Bike Race (Canada to Mexico)

My brother is attempting the 2,490-mile trek along the Great Divide as a freelance story for Mountain Bike Magazine. The 25 riders took off from Port Roosville, Montana, last Friday.

They are totally self-supported and will call in to a toll-free number to provide updates on their daily progress, which is being blogged. There is no prize for first place, just the satisfaction of completing the daunting journey.

So far, four guys have had to bow out, including two with achilles injuries and one with a broken frame. They are battling snow, wind, rain, "suicide deer," an angry bull moose and have even seen several grizzlies. It's a pretty cool (if not crazy) deal. Check it out:

Great Divide Race

Rider blog updates

Attempting?

I say "attempting" because while he's ridden some pretty rugged terrain over the years and trained for this type of thing pretty rigorously, the 2,490-mile journey tears a lot of guys up. And with everything that can go wrong (weather, equipment, injuries, etc.) not many people have completed the trek, especially rookies.

What happens if you don't make it?

Well, I guess if your body or bike gives out, you pack it in and get someone to help get you home ... try again next year.

Here's a good read from a rider who describes a somewhat typical day on the ride ...

A day on the GDR