I'm also heartened to see that they dusted off some real chestnuts for the Dublin shows: "Letter Never Sent" and "Kohoutek" were hardly ever played live even back when they were new songs. At least songs like "Harbourcoat" and "Second Guessing" were concert mainstays back in 1984. I think they're putting more effort into this album than they did to their previous few releases, and they're getting in touch with what made them a great band in the first place. I am very optimistic about the new record, after being pretty disappointed with the last 2. I haven't listened to the new songs much yet, but certainly they give the impression that R.E.M. is getting back to what it's good at.

I'm particularly encouraged by Micheal Stipe's contributions to the new songs. As much as I love him as a singer, he's been one of the main problems I've had with the last few albums.

Now if they can wrap things up in a timely manner and not overfuss, I think we'll be in good shape.

There is certainly some promise there. Now, if they could just ditch all of those sidemen and get Bill off that tractor.

I'll bet the farm for that. Thank goodness they're recording with another producer. A dream collaboration would be with Nigel Godrich though. I think that would be a kickass album. Of course, at this point, anything would be better than Around The Sun. That album killed any desire for me to see them live again.

I never even heard that album.

You're not missing much.

I've always loved R.E.M. and really tried to like their lamer last 3 albums.....I even think "Up" is quirkily great...I like the experimenting throughout.

But Reveal was disappointing and Around The Sun is unbelievably, embarrasingly bad.....it just drags along, with a 2 or 3 worthy songs sprinkled in.

These new live songs ARE promising....it's very apparent they're trying to rock up their songs. I just wish they had a drummer like Berry to really make the songs kick.

You never can tell based on early live performances but... in spite of the band obviously trying to "rock" more, I'm not hearing any melodies or guitar riffs or beats that sound more inspired or memorable than anything they've done since Up. The real problem was never that R.E.M. stopped "rocking," to me, it just seems like they stopped caring about their songwriting. Listen to some of Stipe's amazing and unique vocal melodies on Lifes Rich Pageant, then listen to him just sort of aimlessly bleat the lyrics to the new songs.

I would love for the upcoming record to be a real comeback, but I'm not betting on it.

The real problem was never that R.E.M. stopped "rocking," to me, it just seems like they stopped caring about their songwriting. Listen to some of Stipe's amazing and unique vocal melodies on Lifes Rich Pageant, then listen to him just sort of aimlessly bleat the lyrics to the new songs.

I agree with this. They have a ways to go before you can call [TBA] their "comeback album." I think their songwriting suffered when they stopped touring regularly, and it got worse when Bill Berry left--I doubt they would have gone through their unfortunate "experimental" phase on Reveal and Around the Sun if he were still around (though I must say I really enjoy Up, drum machines and all).

The songs on the last 2 records, for all their elaborate production, seem like they were thrown together at the last minute. There's something to be said for a band develop songs over time by playing them live (e.g. everyone in the same room) before putting them down on tape. Having three guys who live in three different places send demo tapes back and forth just isn't the same.

That said, I think they're putting forth a real effort to get it right this time, and I have high hopes for the new record.

Finally some half-decent songs that actually rock and featuring some great harmonies from the incomparable Mike Mills. It sounds like Peter Buck is actually taking an active role in the band again. I think "Up" was a great album (if two songs too long), "Reveal" a failed experiment and "Around The Sun" plain awful. Hopefully, they will record these songs quickly and they won't be overproduced and washed out. Personally, I'd love for REM to collaborate with Jeff Tweedy as a producer in the studio. I think it's telling that they played these songs with stuff of the first four albums. I love early R.E.M..