The Omnivore's Dilemma

We raise grass fed beef. 2-3 years is plenty of time if you have good genetics. Yes, that corn and animal diet is nasty. The omega 3-6 balance with grass fed beef is parallel to natural fish vs. farm fish. Again, nasty. Watched a program about fish farming in S. America and it makes you mad and sick.

The thing that bothers me about beef is that the "factory" farms are feeding them corn and beef fat which thier bodies are not made to eat. This causes them to get sick so instead of feading them the right way, they just pump them full of antibiotics and it's supposed to be ok.

It takes an angus steer 5-6 years to get to the butchering size when they are fed a natural diet of grass and hay but it takes a factory farm 18 months to get the steer to that size. This just makes the animal miserable, makes the meat have higher cholesterol and fat, and makes us fat.

i'd recommend Jane Goodall's latest book, i think it is called natural harvest. very interesting perspective and goes beyond the factory farm. she discusses water, bottled water, and ice relative to waste and resources. it really makes you think.