Cherry Ghost

Named after the line from 'Theologians', anyone like them?

Really recommend the record, been out a couple of months - called 'Thirst For Romance'.

They come from Manchester in England (Bolton actually) and are the inspiration of Simon Aldred. Its got that beautiful but gloomy Manchester indie feel with a fair amount of country thrown in. Some lovely tunes. Check it out.

• 3 years later...

Has anyone picked up on the latest 'Cherry Ghost' record? I listened to it the other day and was actually quite impressed. However both records (their debut album came out a couple of years back) could have been so much better without the slight commercial leanings. The singer/songwriter obviously has impecable taste (apart from the obvious) and you wish that would be more to the front. There is a heavy debt to Mark Linkous, who is mentioned in the 'credits'. They also covered 'Junebug' as a b-side recently.

It seems like they are stuck between paying homage to their heroes and trying to sell a shed loads of records. Consequently they sound like a mix between Sparklehorse and Coldplay, which is a pretty strange sound. However, I am interested what other people think of this band.

p.s: If I see them live I'g gonna have to wear my Wilco 'Cherry Ghost' t-shirt!!