Hi Guys

I'm trying to get a better idea of which types of microphones should be used for recording a particular instrument. My studio-savy friend says this combination is the best:

Drums: Large diaphragm condenser mics; overhead: dynamic mics

Guitars: Dynamic mics (sm 57s)

Vocals: condenser mics

Do people agree with his? More imporatntly, I would like to know the major characteristics for each type of microphone and why they are suited for recording a particular instrument. I don't need an essay, but I've done some reading, and every explanation has been wayyy too scientific for me, so I'd appriciate any explanation in layman's terms. Thanks a lot!

For vox, you want large diaphragm. For drums, get large diaphragm for the overheads, oh and make sure one is bidirectoional and use the mid-side technique.

For acoustic guitars, I usually use condensers. For amps, dynamics... but you know, it depends on the instrument and how it's being played. There's no rules. If someone tells you there's a rule, break it, that's how you can discover some of the most interesting things.

p.s. this should be in Solid State Technology but... no biggy!