Arcade Fire / LCD Soundsystem / The Gossip - Seattle 9/24

Saw the gig in Seattle on Monday night (9/24). A tad disappointing. Why? The sound was shit as they played in a University of Washington basketball arena. Also, this is my third time for Arcade Fire. In such a venue they didn't have the same impact as Sasquatch in 2005 or Coachella this year (where they stole the weekend). Also, I thought the stage show wasn't as good as I expected. They did some incredible screening of old film footage on "No Cars Go" but otherwise I wasn't that fussed at seeing blown up images of the band. LCD Soundsystem were great. James Murphy's voice was so much better live then on record and I loved their guitarist. Am I the only person who can see bits of Talking Heads in their stuff especially vis-a-vis the "Fear of Music" record. I could totally imagine them doing a killer cover of "I Zimbra".

Saw the gig in Seattle on Monday night (9/24). A tad disappointing. Why? The sound was shit as they played in a University of Washington basketball arena. Also, this is my third time for Arcade Fire. In such a venue they didn't have the same impact as Sasquatch in 2005 or Coachella this year (where they stole the weekend). Also, I thought the stage show wasn't as good as I expected. They did some incredible screening of old film footage on "No Cars Go" but otherwise I wasn't that fussed at seeing blown up images of the band. LCD Soundsystem were great. James Murphy's voice was so much better live then on record and I loved their guitarist. Am I the only person who can see bits of Talking Heads in their stuff especially vis-a-vis the "Fear of Music" record. I could totally imagine them doing a killer cover of "I Zimbra".

There's a discussion on this over at the AF board. I thought the group was great and the audience so low energy that the show was ultimately much less exciting than any other show I've seen of theirs.

I saw the show last night in Kansas City in my favorite outdoor venue. I wasn't familiar with LCD Sound System. Aside from being too loud, they were magnificent. James Murphy has quite a set of pipes. My hair stood on end during the climax of that yeah, yeah, yeah song. I could easily see them doing a 15 minute rendition of I Zimbra. The various members of the Arcade Fire helped out during LCD's set, the most fun being the brothers Butler singing harmonies from one mic.

My 11 year old daughter and I were front row standing against the stage. Richard and Will did the crazy drumming on every available surface to where we could have touched them. Regine played right in front of us on several songs, making considerable eye contact with Sarah. She and Sarah were singing to each other. I was afraid Sarah (a budding percussionist) was going to float away from sheer exuberance. So much fun to share that with her.

The set was incredibly high energy and confident. It's amazing to see that wall of sound being recreated in front of you. Toward the end of the first encore, some drunk dude jumped up on stage, and Will Butler chased him around playing the snare drum until the dude dove off stage right next to us knocking a woman to the ground.

The crowd (up front anyway) was young and wildly enthusiastic. The band (Regine and Win most especially) grinned all night and engaged the crowd with alot of eye contact. This is a terrifically fun young band, high voltage live show with tremendous potential. Go see them if you get the chance.

I thought the show was great. I'm sure it sounded crappy and felt like low energy up in the boonies, but down front, it sounded great, and there was a ton of energy. I have seen both bands several times, and this was as good as any other time. But with members of Arcade Fire joining in on LCD's set, it may have been better.

And ditto on the Talking Heads comments--that was the first thing I thought when I heard that rangly, choppy guitar on the new LCD record.