so i know the basic major scale, but I dont understand the whole "mode" end of the deal. What exactly are they and what is the difference? If there is a site that can give them to me tabbed out it would be great. I have found a few sites, and some info in a book about them but it seems like everytime I get an example of a dorian mode, it completely differs from another dorian mode i see in a different site/book

You have 12 notes:

A A#(aka Bb) B C C#(Db) D D#(Eb) E F F#(Gb) G G#

Going from one note to another is commonly referred to as a "step," either a "whole step" or a "half step." For example, from A to B is a whole step, or from A to A# is a half step. From A# to C is a whole step, etc.

A "mode" is a way of arranging these "steps" so that they sound pleasant to the ear. The major scale is WWHWWWH (W = whole step H= half step), starting from the root note (the key you are in). So, the major scale in the key of C would start with C. Then, a whole step from C is D. A whole step from D is E. A half step from E if F, etc. Eventually, you get (for the key of C): C D E F G A B C

Try it for yourself, with the key of G.

What you should get is: G A B C D E F#

There are myriad ways to play this sequence of notes on guitar. One such way is:

e----------------------------------------------------3---5----7------------------------

B------------------------------------------5----7---------------------------------------

G--------------------------------4--5--7------------------------------------------------

D----------------------4--5--7---------------------------------------------------------

A-----------3--5--7-------------------------------------------------------------------

E-3--5--7--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are many ways to play this, probably why you saw so many different versions.

The root not here is G (3rd fret, low E string). You can move this pattern anywhere on the guitar neck, and get the major scale for that key for the note that you start on on the low E string (hope that isn't too confusing).

http://www.ocmusic.com/guitmodes.htm

This gives a pretty good explanation, though I know nothing about tabbing it out...If you're wondering about the funky names for all the modes, they correspond with the ancient Greek tribes that invented them. Each tribe had one mode(scale) that they called their own and would have sounded "normal" to their ears, much like major scales sound "normal" to our western ears.

ahhh i see, i get the major scale and how it can have different movable scale formats, i didnt know it was the same for the different modes, thank u guys, its like i have a mixture of music theory puzzles pieces but i sometimes need help to piece em together

Oh, I see. The way that this site is explaining it, what I posted previously:

e----------------------------------------------3---5----7------

B------------------------------------------5----7-----------------------

G--------------------------------4--5--7-------------------------------

D----------------------4--5--7-----------------------------------------

A-----------3--5--7-----------------------------------------------------

E-3--5--7---------------------------------------------------------------

Is the Ionian mode of the G major scale, because it starts at G. So, the Dorian mode would be ABCDEF#G, or this on the guitar neck:

e---------------------------------------------------5--7--8----

B----------------------------------------5--7--8--------------

G---------------------------------5--7-------------------------

D-----------------------5--7--9-------------------------------

A------------5--7--9-------------------------------------------

E--5--7--8-----------------------------------------------------

Same notes as the G major scale, just starting from the second note (A) instead of the first note (G).

ahhh i see, i get the major scale and how it can have different movable scale formats, i didnt know it was the same for the different modes, thank u guys, its like i have a mixture of music theory puzzles pieces but i sometimes need help to piece em together

Now let's talk about pentatonics and octatonics and whole tone scales and blues scales and and and and!!!!

2nd question, to get the different modes then u just gotta move the major scale around the neck and start it on different positions?

Not really. You start the scale on a different degree within the scale. So instead of DO RE MI FA SO LA TI DO, if you played RE MI FA SO LA TI DO RE you would be playing a scale with a Dorian flavor, MI FA SO LA TI DO RE MI = Phrygian.

(Spellcheck wants to turn "Phrygian" into "theologian" -- I guess spellcheck don't know nothing about my soul. I thought you'd be amused. Sorry.)

I think there's a better way to, um, think about it since no one runs scales up and down unless they're Phillip Glass. Remember that theory is just a way of intellectualizing what you're already doing. So if you're playing a C major scale over an F chord, what you're playing will have a Lydian character. The same scale over an A minor chord could be described as having an Aeolian character.

I hope this helps.

Going from one note to another is commonly referred to as a "step," either a "whole step" or a "half step." For example, from A to B is a whole step, or from A to A# is a half step. From A# to C is a whole step, etc.

A "mode" is a way of arranging these "steps" so that they sound pleasant to the ear. The major scale is WWHWWWH (W = whole step H= half step)

If you are only moving that series of Whole and half steps around the guitar, then you are maintaining the major scale in different keys and/or positions. The modes all have different Whole/Half step patterns.