Video Capture Cards

I'm thinking about buying a video capture card for my PC, and since there are so many options I am looking for advice.

Right now I'm leaning towards an internal card for my desktop PC, which runs XP. However, I also have a laptop running Vista, and am open to the idea of an external device that can move between both machines. Both machines have plenty of power and space to do what I need. I'd like to be able to do the following:

1. Capture cable-TV signal

2. Capture from my camcorder using firewire

3. Capture from a VCR using S-video as well as RCA cables (audio and video)

I know there are some techies around these parts... any recommendations? Thanks in advance!

You going to have a go at film making?

(I have no advice, obviously).

Ha, no... but I have tons of home videos that I want to toy with. (I did make a movie once, though--but, despite the local screenings, it was really just a 70-minute, glorified home video.)

I'm thinking about buying a video capture card for my PC, and since there are so many options I am looking for advice.

Right now I'm leaning towards an internal card for my desktop PC, which runs XP. However, I also have a laptop running Vista, and am open to the idea of an external device that can move between both machines. Both machines have plenty of power and space to do what I need. I'd like to be able to do the following:

1. Capture cable-TV signal

2. Capture from my camcorder using firewire

3. Capture from a VCR using S-video as well as RCA cables (audio and video)

I know there are some techies around these parts... any recommendations? Thanks in advance!

You might take a look at these folks:

OnAir GT

...the GT supports full HD 1920 x 1080. It also decodes my digital cable signal, so I could bypass the cable box entirely... however, since my box has a firewire input (and the DVR), I route the coax through both the GT and the box.

OnAir GT

...the GT supports full HD 1920 x 1080. It also decodes my digital cable signal, so I could bypass the cable box entirely... however, since my box has a firewire input (and the DVR), I route the coax through both the GT and the box.

Thanks for the info, Shuck... this device looks promising. Have you tried using the included Analog Audio/Video input cable? I would use this cable to transfer truckloads of old VHS home movies, but I'm worried about synching problems and frame dropouts (common complaints of many video capture devices, particularly external USB ones).

OnAir GT

I actually have this little gadget. It's pretty cool. It's basically a TV tuner for your PC and it runs on USB. I initially bought it because it can tune in HD signals and I didn't have an HDTV. The drivers are a pain to get working, but there is a walkthru on their website to get everything going.

The GT supports full HD 1920 x 1080, but will only record at 720 X 480, which is DVD quality. This may seem like a downside, unless you look at the system specs you'll need to edit HD video.

There is a little dongle for RCA inputs and standard cable jack, so you can record VHS tapes to your hard drive. I have done this for my dad, who is a professor, and wanted to compile all of his tape clips. It is really easy -- plug it in and hit record. It records to mpeg and has a counter to show how much hard drive space has been used. You get about 3 Gb per hour of footage.

Hope that's of some help. Feel free to ask any other questions.