"New York Doll"

I suppose there was a thread on this sometime in the past, but I don't seem to have Analogman's supernatural search powers so I couldn't find one.

I have been convolecing as some of you know so I hit up Netflix for some documentaries I have been wanting to see (in addition to some I saw prior to my time off). Of the handful of docs (and one biopic) I have seen the one on Arthur "Killer" Kane is by far the best. I saw the Roky Ericson, the Daniel Johnston, the Brian Jonestown Massacre and this one within a few weeks of one another. All were worth the time, with the Ericson and Johnston ones being more about mental illness than music and the BJM one being an unholy but interesting mess, but the Kane documentary was head and shoulders above the others. The movie is just shy of 90 minutes and deals in a sensitive and forthright manner, with no wasted time. or footage. Not only is the story compelling, but Kane was part of a genuinely important group. The movie deals enough with the group, but was intentionally not made as a "behind the music" type doc. Unlike the Ericson and Johnston docs. it also doesn't deal at length with either Kane's personal problems or the filmmakers personal self agrandizing of their subject.

Also, "Control", which is a biopic not a documentary, is excellent. While it drags out the ending a bit long, the feel and look of the movie is totally convincing; you really believe you are witnessing Ian Curtis' life. This one is also not to be missed.

Okay, I am outta here....off to North Carolina for some R&R in the mountains and maybe some music in the southeast.

LouieB

That was a good film, real bittersweet and touching.

Another decent music doc of late is Be Here to Love Me. It's worth checking out if you're a Townes Van Zandt fan.

Strange kinda fella. It was a bit weird seeing his little apartment plastered with NY Dolls stuff 30 years after the fact. Glad he found a place with the Mormons, and had one last taste of the rock star life - truly one of the very lucky ones.

Ya know, his girlfriend half cut off his thumb to keep him from going on tour. Now that's LOVE.

They sent us a copy of New York Doll to our office, I think.

Its a good'n it was made super well. The story I don't think is that great. but they made it really good. I thought it was funny he basically just picked the LDS faith out of thin air it seemed like. "Hmm I should be religious... okay this one will do." I dunno that's just what I got from it.