my guitar is messed up

Guest David Puddy

Guest David Puddy

i've got about an 8 year old acoustic that has lately been struggling to stay in tune. the pegs that hold the strings in seem to be the problem, to me. in low E peg keeps popping out.

does this happen to others? is this a usual thing? do i just replace them? are all pegs the same or should i bring my guitar to the store for help fitting specific ones?

i've got about an 8 year old acoustic that has lately been struggling to stay in tune. the pegs that hold the strings in seem to be the problem, to me. in low E peg keeps popping out.

does this happen to others? is this a usual thing? do i just replace them? are all pegs the same or should i bring my guitar to the store for help fitting specific ones?

Sounds likea bad tuner - the gears sometimes grind over time.

They are not all the same (different pole sizes and associated holes and scew locations). Bring it into a good repari shop and they can put some new ones on for you (they may find something else, too).

They are easy to replace youself, as well. Check out www.stewmac.com. Gives good dimensions to help spot the ones you need.

Your problem is common, although an 8 year old guitar isnt that old...I think youre talking about bridge pins, right...??

If a pin keeps popping out, the wood has worn in the hole and under bridge near the bridgeplate inside....most pins are plastic and dont hold so hot either...you can order new bridge pins, Id suggest spending a little extra and get a nice set of rosewood or ebony pins...theyll give the guitar a bit better tone (subjective, but all wood sounds better to my ears) and more importantly, wooden pins hold better and swell a bit, keeping the balls of the strings tight=better tone!

This can save you a possible expensive trip to the guitar tech, during which he'll likely tell you what i did unless the guitar is on the nicer end ( Im a guitar tech, Id usually charge $40 an hour)

one other thought, if your saddle is not real high/tall, you can get the wrong break angle on the strings...generally, looking at the strings, the more acute the angle, the better...

also, never skimp on the tuning machines, but its not always worth buying an $80 set of tuners unless the guitar is a nice one (or a favorite)...

j