Adventures in open mic night

Last night I ventured to a local coffee shop to hear some open mic. I'm all about people mustering up courage to play in front of their peers, however just because you can play Creep on your PS3 Rock Star videogame at home doesn't make it okay to play it at open mic night. Fellow aspiring musicians; please find a different Radiohead song to play at open mic nights. PLEASE! I would be elated for days if just for once I could hear someone knock out Street Spirit, Optimistic, You & Whose Army?, or True Love Waits. Are those too difficult to play? How about you amaze the crowd with renditions of Lucky, Banana Co, or Thinking About You? Radiohead doesn't even like to play Creep anymore.

There was some really decent original songs last night though, and there was quite an amazing rendition of 'Always & Forever'. (Don't ask... Just believe me) But then..... Someone played the Faces 'ooh la la' which was appreciated, however he gave off the impression that nobody had ever heard of the Faces. He kept telling the audience to go explore the Faces, as if he were the only one who knew that Rod Stewart used to be cool. I'm done venting...... but I'll probably go again this week because I enjoy complaining. :ermm

Chicago:

Best open mic in town is at FitzGerald's: TUESDAY NIGHTS (that's tonight).

Seriously, some amazing talent there.

Of course, there are quite a few hacks, as well. But the some of the regulars are pretty amazing. I used to go and I just might start again tonight.

Chicago:

Best open mic in town is at FitzGerald's: TUESDAY NIGHTS (that's tonight).

Seriously, some amazing talent there.

Of course, there are quite a few hacks, as well. But the some of the regulars are pretty amazing. I used to go and I just might start again tonight.

sigh... Unfortunately I'm in Southern California..... where everyone is a star.

What's the place in Ocean Beach? Where Jewel got her start at open mic nights?

I've been there, and it was kinda meh.

But, since Jewel got her start there, I shoulda expected that.

;)

I'm moving there in a couple months. I'll have to hit you up and check out some of these infamous open mics. Do you play an instrument?

I'm moving there in a couple months. I'll have to hit you up and check out some of these infamous open mics. Do you play an instrument?

I wouldn't call them infamous as of yet.

Where are you moving to in SoCal?

My friend does poetry readings there occasionally. I have yet to play. Maybe next week I'll cover Creep there :P

Two of my best friends live in Ventura and in West Hollywood. The friend in WeHo and I do a lot of music stuff together, so ideally I'd be living close to there. There is that whole finding employment / having a job thing....

If you know of anyone that needs someone with a graphic design / journalism background...I'm your man :)

Get your Creep chops shined up!!

> 'Always & Forever'. (Don't ask... Just believe me)

was that some Donna girl??... great song though

i once did When you wake up feeling old on one these things - drunk of course!

nope it was an older black man. Amazing voice with deadly guitar skills.

• 2 months later...