If you have the time (and it sounds like you do), avoid the interstates at all costs. I don't know where in CT you are, but as an example:

Interstate from Hartford to Albany is 91 to 90 to 87. Most exciting spot is the sign that says "Highest Point on Turnpike - 1724 feet. Next highest point - Oacama, SD - 1729 feet." Or Tekoa (?) Mountain overlooking the Westfield River. Other than that, yippee.

OTOH, take US-44 to US-7 to whatever MA road turns into NY-23. Shoot up the Taconic and then take the thruway, or just stay on NY-23 to US-9, then north. Might take you twice as long (maybe longer, it's not the most direct route), but the scenery, stores, restaurants, people, etc. will constantly be different.

Perhaps you'll know this reference - would you ever find a Harry's Drive-In (Colchester) on the interstate?

That's my soapbox.

Thanks for all the input so far!! I'm definitely taking notes. I've been trying to avoid the big highways as much as time will allow me which is looking pretty good! As far as Austin goes I don't think it'll be a stop on my initial journey, but if all goes well with the job I just applied at nmsu for, I will be shooting to get to ACL this fall! Please everyone, keep the suggestions going, you're making me want to start the trip tomorrow!