So I'll be making a very round-about trip from Connecticut to New Mexico(for good, screw CT!), come April and am looking for suggestions on roadtripping. I've tried not to give myself deadlines other than being in New Orleans on April Ninth to see Iron & Wine, but so far I've basically just mapped the itinerary on google maps and I've been mapping out campgrounds in the vicinity of where I'll be stopping each night. The rough route is basically NY, PA, MD, WV, KY(stay the night), TN, NC, SC(stay the night), GA, MS, LA(stay the night), MS, AR, MO(to meet up with girlfriend). After that, I haven't decided yet. If the route so far seems crazy It's just because I want to finish going to states I haven't been to on the way to NM, and with the current route I'll have east of the mississippi river done!

So basically I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions or sites for me to check out as far as planning the trip, or anyone with any places they think I should definitely check out?

stay off the beaten path, traveling on interstate sux.

eat lots of green chile...on everything.

in april the buffalo river in Ar will be flowing fast, bring your flask cuz it's dry.

a good drunken float can be had in southwest Mo in the Elk River area, camp too.

might still be a little chilly

hmmm, don't know much about OK, going to Tulsa to see Wilco, will report back

New Mexico...Santa Fe, touristy but super cool architecture and, once again, green chile. Some of the in between dives are better though, 'specially if you see a pepper field in the back of the restaurant.

we live near warrensburg if you're in the area, we have an unfinished house but plenty of solitude to camp.

check the towns along your route to see who might have a minor league baseball team. seeing a game in a small ballpark is great fun.

minor league baseball!

Will you marry me? :worship

Seriously, filling road trips up with minor-league baseball games, county fairs (when in season) and odd festivals (like Bob Wills Day in Turkey, TX, last Saturday of April), is the stuff of life.

im from connecticut, and it definitely has its share of negatives. but i love its proximity to NYC :)

anyways, north carolina, virginia, etc.

I will definitely miss it's proximity to boston philly & nyc. I'm movin to alamogordo, it's close to... sand. hahah. I'll welcome the change of pace in life though.

fatheadfred & ms yvon thanks for the tips. I'll definitely look out for some minor league teams. I enjoy going to the local teams in ct now! and PigSooie, thanks for the tip. I won't step foot in Memphis!

I'd say you should definately try restaurants that you wouldn't normally eat at...try local eateries and maybe some VC'ers can give recommendations for places they live or live near for good places to try on your road trip. OO and go to Borders or Barnes And Noble and look through travel guides they usually have some good recommendations or go online and type in locations you plan to drive through. When you get home you can give us a guide of eateries and things to see :)

I'd say you should definately try restaurants that you wouldn't normally eat at...try local eateries and maybe some VC'ers can give recommendations for places they live or live near for good places to try on your road trip. OO and go to Borders or Barnes And Noble and look through travel guides they usually have some good recommendations or go online and type in locations you plan to drive through. When you get home you can give us a guide of eateries and things to see :)

Ohhh I love trying food i haven't eaten!! Gator, buffalo, conch, & frog legs have been some of my unusual favorites so far, anyone with any local stops along the way is definitely welcome to give me tips!.

Dr. Steve, Lizard's Thicket definitely sounds like a must stop!

I just re-read your original post..you should go here Lamberts it's on the MO border. It's really fun :) Oh and if you are going to be in St. Louis go to the Old Spaghetti Factory.

Lamberts is amazing. A friend of mine and myself drove 12 hours round trip just to eat dinner there. That is how amazing it is. I would recommend it to you and everyone.

...Bob Wills Day in Turkey, TX, last Saturday of April...

:w00t

roadside antique shops are often a place to get swell souveniers. last summer i brought home a glass mug from indiana that was a prom favor from 1974. the prom theme: stairway to heaven. oh yes. :rock

there is a book series called "off the beaten path." if you know you'll be driving thru a particular state, leaf through a book on it. you might find some cool suprises.

unexpected gems i've visited while road tripping: nebraska's baseball hall of fame museum in st. paul ne, a sod house exhibit in minnesota, and the spam museum.

oh! kentucky is known for having a crazy number of caves! a lot of them have guided tours. very cool!

(am living vicariously through your roadtrip planning now... :lol )

Watch Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations on the Travel Channel. He's done episodes on New Jersey, South Carolina, New Orleans, and the US/Mexico border of western Texas. Always good for some ideas. And if nothing else, he'll inspire you to eat without fear along your journey.

Stay away from Memphis. This place sucks ass.

i beg to differ! there's some neat things in Memphis... the dry ribs at Rendezvous... wet ribs at Corky's... Graceland!... MLK-Lorraine Motel... Memphis Redbirds baseball...the ducks at the Peabody... not a big fan of Beale Street, though... all the music coming out the doors sounded the same, and not very good...

further west on I-40 is Little Rock and the Clinton Presidential Library, which is pretty cool, architectural-wise and for all the history inside...

i thought Oxford, MS was a neat college town, the Square is a cool area with great places to eat and a great bookstore...

Clarksdale, MS is neat - the Delta Blues Museum, and Morgan Freeman's got 2 restaurants there - we ate at the cheaper one (Ground Zero Blues Club)... authentic down-home southern cooking... a cool store downtown - Cat Head Delta Blues and Folk Art...

i beg to differ! there's some neat things in Memphis... the dry ribs at Rendezvous... wet ribs at Corky's... Graceland!... MLK-Lorraine Motel... Memphis Redbirds baseball...the ducks at the Peabody... not a big fan of Beale Street, though... all the music coming out the doors sounded the same, and not very good...

Tell me those aren't the only places you ate BBQ here. :) A&R, Cozy Corner, Neely's, and The Commissary own those. at one time, Rendezvous had my favorite ribs in the city, but they have becom inconsistent.

Redbirds' games are a cheap great time, but boy do they suck ass.

Beale Street does blow goats.

I echo the comments about Oxford, MS. It's a very cool town. If you go during football season, make sure you party in the grove. There really is nothing like it. This is coming from someone who hates Ole Miss with all of his being.

Tell me those aren't the only places you ate BBQ here. :) A&R, Cozy Corner, Neely's, and The Commissary own those. at one time, Rendezvous had my favorite ribs in the city, but they have becom inconsistent.

Redbirds' games are a cheap great time, but boy do they suck ass.

Beale Street does blow goats.

I echo the comments about Oxford, MS. It's a very cool town. If you go during football season, make sure you party in the grove. There really is nothing like it. This is coming from someone who hates Ole Miss with all of his being.

yeah, we weren't in town too long, so we went to the "name" places... i regret not hitting Neely's for sure... but those dry ribs and the BBQ nachos are outtasite!

and who cares if the Redbirds suck? it's minor league baseball - it's supposed to suck! nice stadium, too... and they serve Leiny Red on tap!

Is this such a good idea without a familiar toilet to run-to?