Red-eyed and blue

I got you (at the end of the century)

Monday

-----

Spiders (Kidsmoke)

-----

Wow.

Best gig ever.

They came on a bit before 9pm and did a good two hours+.

No banter until after Impossible Germany, but then it was all on. Jeff was hilarious. He even had a little dance in the ad hoc "Mosh pit" during Hummingbird.

What a great show. The venue was pretty good, but the crowd could have been better. It wasn't until after being suggested by Jeff that they actually got out of their seats and started to move a bit. Too bad I had crappy tickets and was all the way in the back, but it didn't matter too much since they sounded incredible. I wish that they had played a bit longer, but I heard that they had a 4am flight to Melbourne for tonights show. Anyways, glad to say that I have seen Wilco in NZ and can't wait until I catch them again when I get back to the States.

Incredible show last night. They dove in head first from sunken treasure, and songs were back to back up till impossible germany. Amazingly, songs that I had found a little difficult to get into on the album, such as Walken, and Hate it here, really take off live, and sounding great. The band were on fire, nels shredding away like a teenager, Jeff's singing and playing was great for the whole night, the bass driving and urgent, and the percussion and keyboards fantastic. Real highlights for me, aside from the obvious Jesus etc, California stars, and trying to break your heart were a driving The late greats, Red-eyed and blue/I got you, Hell is chrome, and a achingly good version of reservations. Jeff's chatter between songs was great, and very funny, especially the talk of the guy wearing his girlfriends Wilco t shirt at rock to wellington. Nice opening act as well, great voice and nice songs.

D

The printed setlist had The Lonely 1 preceding Spiders in the second encore, which would have been pretty awesome had it been done. A solid show, nonetheless, considering the seated venue. I personally thought there might be a little more Mermaid stuff in Welly, but I guess they're sticking to mostly post YHF material, considering these are the first full-length shows they've done in NZ.

And the banter about the post-Easter tradition of wearing your metal T-shirts was hilarious, considering you couldn't walk around town for five minutes yesterday without seeing either an Ozzy or KISS shirt. Personally, though, I was hoping for a Bret Michaels or Rikki Rockett sighting. :pirate