Favorite album(s) by....

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 years later...

Three years ago I was in the Younger Than Yesterday camp but these days I listen to Notorious Byrd Brothers as much as everything. This book is well worth checking out if you're a fan of the album/The Byrds in general. Menck has a few clunker sentences here and there but the info and the passion is all solid.

3313byrds.jpg

Nice!

Menck is the drummer for the Velvet Crush. He provides some interesting insight into the "Michael Clarke was an awful drummer" discussion. My favorite anecdote from the book: David Crosby wrote "Draft Morning" shortly before he was fired from the band, he played it to McGuinn and Hillman and they started working on it in the studio after Crosby left, but they couldn't remember all the lyrics so they added a few of their own. Unsurprisingly, Crosby didn't care for this.

--Mike

Menck is the drummer for the Velvet Crush. He provides some interesting insight into the "Michael Clarke was an awful drummer" discussion. My favorite anecdote from the book: David Crosby wrote "Draft Morning" shortly before he was fired from the band, he played it to McGuinn and Hillman and they started working on it in the studio after Crosby left, but they couldn't remember all the lyrics so they added a few of their own. Unsurprisingly, Crosby didn't care for this.

--Mike

If you get the last re-master, there is a hidden track at the end of the cd that features David yelling at Michael while the band is trying to cut the track (Draft Morning). He was a crap drummer, but that is how it was back then.

If you get the last re-master, there is a hidden track at the end of the cd that features David yelling at Michael while the band is trying to cut the track (Draft Morning). He was a crap drummer, but that is how it was back then.

At one point Clarke apparently yelled "just go get Hal Blaine" out of frustration. And then they did.

--Mike

At one point Clarke apparently yelled "just go get Hal Blaine" out of frustration. And then they did.

--Mike

One thing that ruins that song is the stupid gun fire sound effects. If I recall correctly, there is a version of it on the re-mater without the sound effects.

Yes. He is the Byrds authority. He wrote all the liner notes that you can find in the cd booklets in the re-masters. Which, as I have said before, are some of the best sounding cds I have ever heard.

Good to hear. I have a few Amazon gift certificates to burn through and I'm in a big Byrds phase.

--Mike

Good to hear. I have a few Amazon gift certificates to burn through and I'm in a big Byrds phase.

--Mike

that sounds like a good read. for some reason i prefer the post david crosby years. easy rider is a pretty decent album. i like their take on It's All Over Now Baby Blue. i could listen to clarence white bend strings all day. that nashville west album is a nice showcase for him.

that sounds like a good read. for some reason i prefer the post david crosby years. easy rider is a pretty decent album. i like their take on It's All Over Now Baby Blue. i could listen to clarence white bend strings all day. that nashville west album is a nice showcase for him.

The 5D, Younger Than Yesterday, Notorious Byrd Brothers run is my favorite, but I really like Clarence White's playing on the final few albums. The Untitled is a particular favorite from that era. Even the last album they did together, is kinda interesting. Their cover of (See The Sky) About To Rain is pretty cool.

--Mike

The 5D, Younger Than Yesterday, Notorious Byrd Brothers run is my favorite, but I really like Clarence White's playing on the final few albums. The Untitled is a particular favorite from that era. Even the last album they did together, is kinda interesting. Their cover of (See The Sky) About To Rain is pretty cool.

--Mike

yeah, instead of doing a bunch of dyan, they do a bunch of neil young :)

yeah, instead of doing a bunch of dyan, they do a bunch of neil young :)

Yeah, their version of See The Sky About To Rain on their 1973 self-titled album actually came out before On The Beach (1974). Neil's version is gorgeously heartbreaking, one of my favorite cuts on a genius record.

--Mike

Yea, maybe. Gene was certainly encouraged to go solo rather early (too early). It would have been nice if he had stuck around awhile longer.

LouieB

I do like that first solo album of his almost as much as the later period Byrds albums. This re-issue is really cool: Echoes.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes. He is the Byrds authority. He wrote all the liner notes that you can find in the cd booklets in the re-masters. Which, as I have said before, are some of the best sounding cds I have ever heard.

I finished reading this a few days ago, I highly recommend it (Timeless Flight Revisted) one of the best rock books I've ever read, the story of Michael Clarke's draft board performance alone is worth the price of admission. Great read.

--Mike

I don't have the Live At Royal Albert Hall album. I should pick that cd up at some point.

I finally got it around Christmas and have listened to it a bunch. I was at that show, admittedly in the next to last row of the balcony, but it brought back some really nice memories. It actually sounds pretty good for a sound board recording. Check it out.

Maybe some of the strangest drug induced raps ever are McGuinn's rantings on the Monteray Pop set. Really strange.

LouieB

I finally got it around Christmas and have listened to it a bunch. I was at that show, admittedly in the next to last row of the balcony, but it brought back some really nice memories. It actually sounds pretty good for a sound board recording. Check it out.

Maybe some of the strangest drug induced raps ever are McGuinn's rantings on the Monteray Pop set. Really strange.

LouieB

I'll check it out.

David Crosby's raps (the JFK deal)

Yea, it is probably Crosby. I guess I need to listen more closely although it seems like McGuinn is also spouting off.

LouieB

I think he was giving David hell. They hated each other by that point. I have the film on dvd (with the extra stuff), but I have not watched it in a while.

I rather like The New Animals version of Paint It Black from that show.