Wilco as Poster Children

Just a thought here, and I'm sure this has already been echoed before, but Wilco should be the poster children of not just fighting the music industry (YHF) but how to succeed and prosper when all else is crumbling. Is it just me or are they gaining in popularity, touring success and scope, financial success, all of that (continuing to make great records) while everyone else complains of the failing industry. It is like they or Tony M had this master plan of screw album sales, royalites and lets just tour our butts off and give music for free so more people will know of our music and come to our shows and etc. Someone with Wilco deserves a Gold star for setting this up. All of this for a bunch of 40 somethings that can't base their success on trends/looks.

My only caveat is just don't become some Rolling Stones thing where new albums are just excuse for billion dollar tours.

how did they fight the music industry? many bands know that touring is the best way to make money, and for many it is the only way for them to pay the bills. that's not the case for Wilco, who sell quite a few records and have (I'm assuming pretty sweet) advertisement deals. touring has been essential to their success, though, and I agree...they are a good example of how to be a successful rock band.

I'm not sure it was a big master plan on their part, but Wilco has done well, it seems, in an era of shifting music biz paradigms.

Off of the topic a bit, but does anyone have any recent numbers for album sales on AGIB or SBS. Is AGIB anywhere near gold yet?