The Rosenberg Trio

I've only got a single disc from The Rosenberg Trio and, of course I've heard plenty of Django Reinhart and Stephane Grappelli.

But, who else out there plays in this style that I should be hearing? I really like all that I've heard so far but, as is the case with a lot of distinct instrumental styles, I'm not so sure that I need a whole lot more.

Any fans of the style?

What else do I need outside of a couple of records?

And what are the ESSENTIAL Gypsy Jazz records (Incl/ Django, et. al.)?

I don't see it talked about much, and a search revealed nothing on the boards, so...

Louie B, I'm looking your way, friend.

I've only got a single disc from The Rosenberg Trio and, of course I've heard plenty of Django Reinhart and Stephane Grappelli.

But, who else out there plays in this style that I should be hearing? I really like all that I've heard so far but, as is the case with a lot of distinct instrumental styles, I'm not so sure that I need a whole lot more.

Any fans of the style?

What else do I need outside of a couple of records?

And what are the ESSENTIAL Gypsy Jazz records (Incl/ Django, et. al.)?

I don't see it talked about much, and a search revealed nothing on the boards, so...

Well I don't know much of the old stuff outside of what you've mentioned (guess I'm not an expert). But I would recommend a newer Gypsy jazz group "Hot Club Of Detroit" sure they play most of the standards but man do these guys swing. I think I remember reading your also a chicago local so you MUST go see Alfonso Pontecilli at the Green Mill, its only six bucks and I'm pretty sure its every wed.; if your digging the django this is where youve got to go.

Well I don't know much of the old stuff outside of what you've mentioned (guess I'm not an expert). But I would recommend a newer Gypsy jazz group "Hot Club Of Detroit" sure they play most of the standards but man do these guys swing. I think I remember reading your also a chicago local so you MUST go see Alfonso Pontecilli at the Green Mill, its only six bucks and I'm pretty sure its every wed.; if your digging the django this is where youve got to go.

I used to live a mile or so from there, but I'm a suburban dad now, with a 9-5 (that actually begins at 6), so a Weds. at the Green Mill ain't too doable any more.

One of these days, though. Thanks for the tip!

John Jorgenson is supposed to be really great in this style. I haven't heard him, so I can't vouch. Maybe worth looking into.

http://www.johnjorgenson.com/

Bireli Lagrene is another guy that is probably worth checking out:

http://www.dreyfusrecords.com/discs_ns.php?a=5&l=0

I only know about these guys from reading guitar magazines, so I don't know if this is exactly what you're looking for. Like you, I've really only listened to Reinhart and Grappeli.

I've only got a single disc from The Rosenberg Trio

Which Rosenberg is that?? Stuart??? Or probably not....but Stuart does know a thing or two about it.

Frankly I am hardly an expert on this......Andrew Bird's early Bowl of Fire albums are like that a lot. I know more about Klezmer and even on that I am not that knowledgable, but there are terrific early klezmer stuf fon Yazoo.

Since there is tons of Hot Club of France and Stephen Grappeli from his years when he became famous again. There is a good one Flying Fish with David Grisman...and actually most of Grisman's oevre owes a ton to that kind of jazz, (not his bluegrass albums of course...), so you may want to check out Grisman's various albums of "dawg music". I have enjoyed that alot.

Yea, not going to be alot of help here, but I was once privledged to see Grapelli with the Diz Disley (spelling is probaby wrong) Trio back at the old Amazingrace. Truly an unbelievable show.

LouieB

I second Lou's Grisman suggestion. This album has never lost it's luster though I have played the grooves smooth:

c51188hubbf.jpg

Link. Any of the Dawg/Mando stuff would fit the bill for Gypsy Swing.

Wonderful genre of music.

I second Lou's Grisman suggestion. This album has never lost it's luster though I have played the grooves smooth:

c51188hubbf.jpg

Link. Any of the Dawg/Mando stuff would fit the bill for Gypsy Swing.

Wonderful genre of music.

This IS a wonderful album..I have owned it for years...

Grisman's take on this is less traditional than the regular Romani material that is out there, which is more folk/traditional oriented. This Grisman album is particularly good because of the presence of Tony Rice (I do believe I saw this group back in the day), but the other subsequent releases are good as well. (Wow David Grisman used to actually have dark hair.... :lol )

LouieB

(I do believe I saw this group back in the day),

LouieB

Nice!

I saw Grapellli and Grisman back in the day (which was a whole different kind of wonderful), but never got to see Grisman do Dawg.

Since this has turned into sort of a Grisman thread, some of you folks might enjoy the Garcia/Grisman dvd "Grateful Dawg:

gratefuldawg.jpg

I need to pick up more of Grisman's records. All the one's I've heard have been excellent.

I didn't see them together, but as mentioned I did she Grappelli with Diz Disley which was amazing and I saw the Tony Rice version of the Grisman group. Damn, both were a very very long time ago now it seems....

As mentioned, the Flying Fish album of the two of them together is quite good as well. It was really nice that Grappelli got to have a late career resurgence. He certainly could have disappeared altogether and died in obscurity, but fortunatly that didn't happen. (Actually as I recall I saw Jethro Burns open for Grisman...also wondeful.)

LouieB