I don't know how many, if any, of you will care about this but I feel that is it my duty, as the guy with the Canucks logo, to post about this.

Now Trevor Linden played what is likely his last NHL hockey game tonight. I'll fill you in if you don't follow hockey. He was drafted by the Canucks in 1988 and started playing in the NHL at the age of 18. He's a natural leader and became the youngest ever captain of an NHL team at 21. He lead the Canucks to game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals in 1994 (the closest the Canucks have ever been to the cup). To say he's done a lot for the community would be an understatement. He was even given the Order of British Columbia. I think I can safely say he's one of the most popular Canucks of all time, he could probably run for mayor and get elected, he that popular. Sure, he may not be a huge goal scorer anymore (he is now one of those players that contributes now by being a leader for the younger players) but he is still the clutch, in fact he got two BIG goals just last Sunday in a must win game against the Flames.

Anyways, tonight was the last game of a disappointing season. Thursday night we lost to the Edmonton Oilers, which knocked us out of the playoff race on the 81st game of an 82 game season. So of course, tonights game, the 82nd game, was not the best game due to the defeated feeling most of the team shared. We played the playoff bound Calgary and so they thumped us (don't get me wrong though, they're not that much better, if at all, they just squeaked into the playoffs at our expense!!!!!!). I should also note that the Calgary Flames and the Vancouver Canucks are generally very fierce rivals. So anyways, tonight, every time Trevor would touch the puck he'd get thunderous applause. He got a few ovations that night as well as a couple great shots on goal.

So at the end of the game all the Canucks came out and gave Linden hugs and the entire crowd was giving a huge ovation. Then the Flames (led by the great Jerome Iginla, who also got his 50th goal of the season tonight) came back on to the ice and they all shook his hand. Trevor apparently told Jerome that he's "the best player in the league". It was one of the most sportsman-like things I've ever seen. Trevor ended up getting the 1st star (Jerome getting the 2nd). His number, 16, will probably be retired within the year... Stan Smyl is the only other player in the organization to have his number retired.

http://canucks.nhl.tv/team/embed?hlg=20072008,2,1223 you can see an edited version of it there, it starts about 2/3rds through (the first parts are game highlights). If I find a better video of it, I'll post it for sure.

I think it's safe to say that the Calgary Flames have a few more supporters over here in BC now.

His final skate:

And a post-game interview... if you're that interested! With some great clips from the 94 play off run and tonights game.

I know this was a long post but I figured for those who liked sports, would appreciate it.

You're lucky! If I could meet any "famous" person it'd be him OR Jeff Tweedy.

However, when I was 6 I met Gordie Howe and one of his sons (Marty I think) and got their autographs.

However, when I was 6 I met Gordie Howe and one of his sons (Marty I think) and got their autographs.

Very cool. I saw Gordie Howe at the White Spot in Coquitlam a few years ago. No autograph, though.

My family and I were going out for dinner in Delta, to a sports bar and BAM there he was signing autographs. The place is now a Cactus Club, I went back last summer and couldn't figure out why it looked so familiar.

Here's a much better write up then what I did!

Great post. Trevor has been one of my favourite players for as long as I can still remember. I can still recall those nights during the '94 run when I'd have to stealthily tune in to 980 to catch the end of those overtime games because my parents had sent me to bed. Linden was the heart and soul of this team. No one could match his grit and determination. He will be missed.