Aliza Shvarts Abortion Art

Eeee.

Wasn't there a similar case a few years back, involving parts of a fetus being used on a canvas? At the time, I remember getting into an argument with my brother-in-law. He insisted that it couldn't possibly be described as art; I argued that it clearly was an artistic expression, but one that was, in my view, morally revolting and therefore very bad and indefensible art. He couldn't wrap his mind around the distinction.

I'm equally disgusted by this new case.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nati...455_yale18.html

No, not seriously.

Or...

Confusion reigned after the Yale public relations office posted a notice on its site that said, "She stated to three senior Yale University officials today, including two deans, that she did not impregnate herself and that she did not induce any miscarriages. The entire project is an art piece, a creative fiction designed to draw attention to the ambiguity surrounding form and function of a woman's body."

Shvarts, however, disputes the school's claim, saying she has no idea whether she was ever impregnated and whether she ever actually miscarried. "No one can say with 100-percent certainty that anything in the piece did or did not happen. The nature of the piece is that it did not consist of certainties."

Shortly after that statement, the school responded, saying that the art student had motivation to make that statement. "Her denial is part of her performance," wrote the school's spokeswoman. "We are disappointed that she would deliberately lie to the press in the name of art."

Back to Shvarts: "I'm not going to absolve [the university] by saying it was some sort of hoax when it wasn't. I started out with the University on board with what I was doing, and because of the media frenzy they've been trying to dissociate with me."

"We are disappointed that she would deliberately lie to the press in the name of art."

:rotfl

I'm going to take a dump on a piece of canvas. Bids start at $7,500. If you don't think this is art, you are a capitalist-conservative-liberal-muslim-nazi-suv driving-omnivorous-white supremacist. Die.

I'm going to take a dump on a piece of canvas. Bids start at $7,500. If you don't think this is art, you are a capitalist-conservative-liberal-muslim-nazi-suv driving-omnivorous-white supremacist. Die.

If you take a dump on a religious painting instead, you could probably get an NEA grant.

If you take a dump on a religious painting instead, you could probably get an NEA grant.

And to think I was actually going to apply for a second job.

Ladies, the line starts behind me!

I've already got a signed Mapplethorpe hanging in the dining room, thank you very much. Plagiarist. :P

If she really did do these things, she is an egotistical asshole.

And probably will attain much greater levels of artistic success and noteriety than I ever will.