"We didn't come to stay, we came to PLAY, so let 'er ride!" - Bob Wills

The Texas Playboys, in their many incarnations, are one of my top-5 favorite bands of all time. Attending Bob Wills Day is something I gotta do real real soon.

I think the best incarnation was the group that did all of the Tiffany Transcriptions with Junior Barnard on guitar and Herb Remington on lap steel (much as I love Leon McAuliffe, Herbie and Junior kicked ass as a combo).

just discussed it with Patti and we're going next year. Come on down, Louie!!!! :yes

by the way, sam & sooz have the cd you lent me, thanx so much

Got the CD...thanks.

Yea, maybe.... April is always busy with birthdays and such....

LouieB

from "Classic Jazz Guitar"

Jimmy Wyble

Jimmy Wyble (1922) was playing western swing music in 1942 with guitarist Cameron Hill when Bob Wills hired both of them for his Texas Playboys. Wills called their sound "twin guitars". The results of this unique paring can be heard on Wills' Roly Poly.

Wyble continued his association with western swing bands well into the 1950's when he released his first jazz album as leader, The Jimmy Wyble Quintet (1953). This recording had the unusual instrumentation of accordion, clarinet, guitar, bass and drums. That same year he recorded four sides with the Barney Kessel Quartet which are on the Swing Guitars album.

During the late 1950's and early 1960's he toured with Benny Goodman and recorded with Red Norvo. His association with Red Norvo produced two outstanding albums of straight ahead jazz: Naturallyand HiFive.

In 1977 Jimmy Wyble made another album with unusual instrumentation: Jimmy Wyble & Love Bros.

Jimmy Wyble enjoyed a long association with the studios in Los Angeles and he was also a member of Tony Rizzi's Five Guitars.