I can't say that I'm an expert, but I am a pretty big fan of a couple of Tropicalia artists.

And, while I know that Caetano Veloso is the big stud of the movement, I have to admit my bias toward Tom Z

Like you guys have already mentioned, Gilberto Gil and Tom Z

Does Milton Nascimento count? I like him too....I guess I don't think of him as being in the same genre, but you are probably correct. As long as we are talking about somewhat latin stuff, I really like Eddie Palmieri. Also Mongo Santamaria.

LouieB

Does Milton Nascimento count? I like him too....I guess I don't think of him as being in the same genre

I threw him into the mix as he's touched upon Tropicalia in some of his music, but yeah, in general I wouldn't classify him in that genre either.

Oh yeah, Mongo Santamaria. I like him too. I should really get a few more records of his.

And going off the path even further, I do like quite a bit of Fela Kuti's stuff too.

And going off the path even further, I do like quite a bit of Fela Kuti's stuff too.
Far out....

Regarding Fela....good use of his music in the movie "The Visitor" Really a good small movie particuarly if you are looking for a date movie.

LouieB

Far out....

Regarding Fela....good use of his music in the movie "The Visitor" Really a good small movie particuarly if you are looking for a date movie.

LouieB

I saw that film at a festival last year and loved it. A really touching film. Richard Jenkins was quite wonderful in it.

Definitely not what I'd call tropicalia, but one of my favorites as well.

I think it was the mention of Mongo that set me on an Fela Kuti Afro-Beat tangent.

I saw Tom Ze the one and only time that he played in Chicago -- att The Vic.

It may have been the very best show that I've ever seen.

He only brought one guy with him from Brazil, and the rest of his backing band was basically Tortise. Dude was all over the stage -- and he was 65 years old at the time.

For the encore he brought out a 15-ft. industrial saw and a piece of sheet metal, donned a welding mask, and began sawing away in a rhythmic fashion. Then, John MacIntyre joineed in on the drums, and the rest of the band followed suit in (what appeared to be) an improvisational composition. Absoloutely amazing, fun, and indescribable.