Centromatic and the M's

Well I don't know if Schubas is the best club on the planet, but for the moment it is. Another sterling night at the room every musician loves to play in Chicago. I guess these guys are on tour together, both promoting their new albums (which I bought at the merch table.) Both put on a great show, during their back to back stop here at Schubas. Centro headlined last night (that show will be part of the ongoing mini-docs we shoot for GloNo) and tonight The M's will headline with Centro being the opener. I have seen both before and both were excellent, with the slight nod going to Centro (the non-hometown boys).

And thanks to Schubas for so many years of really great shows, but more than that allowing TG to go to shows she can only start getting into under her own ID next Tuesday (yea she is finally turning 21) and letting us shoot show after show with great results. Whiskey Bender Productions will have a new website soon with higher quality vids, so when that happens I will let you know. But we also get great cooperation from the management and the sound guys (and the lighting was good last night as well.) Mike Schuba bought a round of drinks (a soda for me) last night also so this plug needs to come with a disclaimer I suppose

Anyway I am totally beat and both bands were as nice as could be.

LouieB

I bought both groups new albums.

Also stopped by Ribfest and saw Danny Black's new group as well, in the rain. Too much going on this weekend in Chicago.

LouieB

Man, like ships passing in the night, Louie! :lol

I thoroughly enjoyed Saturday's show, and Sunday's was even better IMO. There was a lovely reading of "Ordinary Days" that nearly brought me to tears. I'd never seen them before and they were so, so good.

Man, like ships passing in the night, Louie! :lol

I thoroughly enjoyed Saturday's show, and Sunday's was even better IMO. There was a lovely reading of "Ordinary Days" that nearly brought me to tears. I'd never seen them before and they were so, so good.

Well heck...find a way to say hello sometime....I had seen Centro only once before and they were better this time than last, even on Saturday night. The M's were fun too.

Sadly Sunday was not in the cards. But the interview went great on Sunday afternoon and hopefully in about a month this will be up for everyone to see.

LouieB

Ha! Will do. I talked to John a bit on Sunday and your name came up - I'm sure he'll introduce us at some point.

Has anyone had a chance to listen to Dual Hawks yet? What do you think of it?

Ha! Will do. I talked to John a bit on Sunday and your name came up - I'm sure he'll introduce us at some point.

Has anyone had a chance to listen to Dual Hawks yet? What do you think of it?

I listened to the Centromatic part and liked it. I have this feeling that I will REALLY like South San Gabriel in general. I had hoped to buy some of their CDs after the interview, but no one was around anylonger to buy them from. Guess I will have to do the internet thing.

Do you know John?? I really think John does great work and wish he would get more requests (paying ones) to tape shows so we (John and his crew) could make more of a going concern of WhiskeyBender. I figure we (John mostly...and his crew) are the best video and sound documentarians in Chicago. I know that is kind of bullshit, but hey, who else do you see doing this at shows??

LouieB

I like both the new albums. The SSG album is a standout! I've been wanting to see Will Johnson in any of his incarnations but he hasn't ventured up into Michigan. Another reason a move 5 hours west seems to make sense.

Do you know John?? I really think John does great work and wish he would get more requests (paying ones) to tape shows so we (John and his crew) could make more of a going concern of WhiskeyBender. I figure we (John mostly...and his crew) are the best video and sound documentarians in Chicago. I know that is kind of bullshit, but hey, who else do you see doing this at shows??

LouieB

I do, but just as an acquaintance. I finally got the Two Cow Garage documentary and plan on watching it this weekend. I'm glad someone is documenting all the great little shows that come through Chicago!

I like both the new albums. The SSG album is a standout! I've been wanting to see Will Johnson in any of his incarnations but he hasn't ventured up into Michigan. Another reason a move 5 hours west seems to make sense.

From the sound of it at the interviews, SSG rarely plays the US. Apparently they played a bunch of European shows, so you may have to move east and more than 5 hours to see them. I plan to pick up some of the earlier stuff once I listen to the one I have. Also the deluxe package on these is very cool. We actually asked if sometime they would play back to back shows like they did in Europe, but so far they have none planned.

As far as John is concerned, Whiskey Bender has nearly two dozen featurettes (or features) on various musians floating around there. John is getting a WB website developed on which all this stuff will be posted in better quality than currently available on the web. I should also mention that there were 5 cameras on the Centromatic shoot. This was the most comprehensive shoot we have done, with Dave on one side, John on the other, Rosie in back of the stage, and me on both stationary camera and up front with a lightweight. I can't wait to see this one put together.

LouieB