Paul Newman terminal cancer

Guest Cousin Tupelo

He's quite a man, an American institution.

My top 5 Newman films (in no particular order):

Cool Hand Luke

Nobody's Fool

The Verdict

Somebody Up There Likes Me

The Hustler

Paul Newman is not at death's door, thank you very much.

The Hollywood icon's agent, Toni Howard, tells E! News a slew of gossip reports claiming Newman was terminally ill with lung cancer are "not true."

The reports began in earnest late last month, when Newman backed out as director of Our Town at the playhouse in his hometown of Westport, Conn., citing an unspecified illness.

Several tabloids pounced on the news as evidence of a dire condition. Subsequent photos of a seemingly gaunt-looking Newman at a recent charity event, posted last Friday on Martha Stewart's blog, has added fuel to the speculation, which was even picked up by the Los Angeles Times' gossip blog.

The 83-year-old Oscar winner announced last year that he was ending his acting career after 50 years.

Guest Moses

he was my favorite actor growing up*, and he'll always be one of a few actors i consider to be heads above the rest. this is very sad news.

*i loved his performance in The Towering Inferno - i was a kid!

What a sick rumor to start. There are certainly enough sad stories of people with terminal cancer not to start one that isn't true.

Looking at his body of work, man..its something else. Hud, Harper, Roy Bean, Torn Curtain, The Hustler, Exodus, Butch Cassidy, The Verdict, Sweet Bird of Youth, on and on, even the sort of sucky stuff is good. Rachel Rachel is a good film he directed.

LouieB

i grew up in westport, ct (newmans hometown)

i used to work at a grocery store in town, i helped him pick out melons. he then proceeded to tell me that i was bad at picking out melons and told me that he owned some melon farms in california. then showed me the right way to pick out melons. it was an odd experience.

i love his food products/acting