Wilco in Video Game Promo

This is an old promo video for the video game Team Fortress 2 and I just put it together that the song he's playing on his guitar is "Someone Else's Song".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i68cEsALWt0

Doesn't seem to be any mention of the band or anything (even on the developer's website) but I don't know what the rules are on that sort of thing.

I remember there was a thread for this a long time ago. They very well could have taken that guitar riff from "Someone Else's Song", but it is a very common chord progression used in countless folk songs. I believe Jeff Tweedy was aware of this too when he wrote it, hence the name "Someone Else's Song".

The thing is, it's not the chord progression, it's the whole thing, note for note. I don't have a problem with it, but it's "Someone Else's Song".

It's not the whole thing note for note. It's damn close. I mean damn close, but it's not. I don't know if that was a concerted effort to get around copyright issues, or just evidence of the fact that the chord prorgession is so freaking common, and the walkdowns between the chords are just as common...

It's not the whole thing note for note. It's damn close. I mean damn close, but it's not. I don't know if that was a concerted effort to get around copyright issues, or just evidence of the fact that the chord prorgession is so freaking common, and the walkdowns between the chords are just as common...

Exactly. It's slightly different at the beginning, but the rest of it is DAMN close. But I guess the walk up at the beginning is their way of getting around the copyright issue.